Skip to main content

The dog days of summer...

I know you've heard that saying many times, as have I, but I finally looked it up to see exactly what is meant by it.


The best part of that explanation...lethargy and inactivity.  Can you say BORED!?!?  And I don't mean just the kids. There comes a point in the summer where, although you are clearly, not exactly, ready for school to start, you are just not sure what to do with all your time.  There's only so much organizing, home projects, Netflix and Wii you can do!  It's hot...I mean Texas 100+ temperatures for weeks straight. This definitely leads to lethargy and inactivity.  Who wants to even venture outide with those temps! I mean, we love our pool, but have not been as frequently lately due to lack of interest?!?  Can we blame it on the dog days of summer?  I think so...

This isn't to say we haven't partaken in many traditional summer activities, like the amusement park, a baseball game and the beach.  There have been memories made that all children and families should have of summer.


We had a super hot, super fun day at Fiesta Texas using our free passes earned from their reading program.  We went with Jonas' bestie Xander and family.



We were grateful for the water park to not only cool off in, but they loved the water slides!


Really mom...another picture?!?



Lorelei rode the swings 3 times!

 
Cooling off and fueling up.


It was a fun-filled day!




The kids also completed their San Antonio Library summer reading program. Can you find their names on the wall?


We made it to a Missions baseball game too!


It was super windy, which helped keep us cool!



Jonas and Lorelei got to take part in a cool brain study at UTSA.  They were part of a research study on how the monolingual vs. bilingual brain recalls multiplication facts.  AFter an initial screening, Lorelei didn't qualify but was still reward for her time with a certificate, some small prizes and money.


 Jonas did qualify and Lorelei had fun watching what was going on.



 They got some lunch at Freddy's after too, as a bonus reward from me!


The biggest news of the last few weeks...Bailey got a job!  He's having a blast working for a wonderful family on their Kona Ice truck.  He's becoming a sno-cone master.




We are finishing up some final home projects around here too.  So far we've re-done Savannah's room (see early post) and this week we finished organizing and re-designing Jonas' and Lorelei's room.  We are about to take on the dining room this weekend.  I'm finally creating the simple farmhouse dining room of my dreams!  Can't wait to post pictures.  Hope it turns out like the picture in my head!

To my fellow teacher friends...make the days count!!  These last few dog days of summer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...