Skip to main content

Chasing fireflies...Spring of 2024


In April, while in Austin, I was enchanted to see an abundance of fireflies in Savannah's backyard. It brought tears to my eyes, not only because I find fireflies (or lightning bugs as we called them in the Midwest) intriguing and nostalgic, but because it was so fitting for where the Boyen Bunch is in life right now. After several attempts of "chasing" these fireflies with my camera, I captured a picture of one bright one lit up. Nature imitates life. The milestones my kids are reaching this spring are life-changing! The idiom chasing fireflies means chasing dreams, moments, and experiences that are captivating and elusive. We have two graduates this year. Savannah graduated from UT and Jonas graduates today from Comm. Arts HS. The moments this spring are fleeting, just like the light of a firefly. Here one moment and gone the next...

I have referred to May as Mayhem for years (not claiming the idea, just saying I've been using this term for a bit). I have many previous posts that are either titled "Mayhem" or make a reference to it. Seven posts to be exact, the first being written in 2016. I saw a lot of memes about May-cember too, but Mayhem will always be my favorite. Even with just two kids at home, this spring was still full of Mayhem. 

On April 1 a former 3rd/5th grade student honored me at her Senior Ceremony. I was thrilled. 



Jonas was honored at a Top 10 breakfast that same week. He's graduating number three in his class. 


The eclipse was a major event at school. It was cloudy, but super cool experience just the same. 


Lorelei had End of Year Aquatic Events like the party and awards ceremony. They awarded her the Small But Mighty Award!


Jonas had his Senior picture session. Savannah was home for the weekend, so she assisted his friend who took the pictures for us. 




This picture was the last one taken. Savannah decided he needed some of the spring flowers behind his ears as a joke. But funny enough, this was our favorite picture! It was the cover of his grad announcements. 


We had a three day weekend at the end of April and made a trip to Austin. We went to all of Savannah's favorite parks and just relaxed. 





Lorelei turned 17 on May 3rd! It was a simple birthday since all she wanted was her bed! It was a Friday and the school week always wears her out. 


She's finally taller than the birthday cake!



After her three hour nap, she woke up and wanted Winstop and cake. We Doordashed the wings and John whipped up a cake. It was nearly 10:00 p.m.!!


Helotes Cornyval always happens her birthday weekend, so she spent most of her weekend there, including some good ole fashioned face painting. 


The next week was filled! It's nice when Bailey comes by to just chill with us for bit. It was the calm before the fun storm!


We squeezed in John's birthday too. 


Jonas had his Senior walk at Carson. It was so great to see so many of his friends and my prior students. 




Cindy AKA Miss G. was in town and came by for dinner and we grabbed a picture looking a bit spiffier than the night before. She was my student teacher with this group of kids! And now we are just BFFs! 


That same day I had  Fiesta Texas field trip with my 5th graders and that night we had to head to Austin for Savannah's UT graduation!


What an amazing day for ou girl! We couldn't be prouder. 







She is actually moving home for a year to San Antonio. She will be doing her Post Bacc work at Trinity Universtiy as a Reasearch Assistant in their Department of Neuroscience. She's excited for her future!

Mother's Day was the next day. We had a simple breakfast in Austin at Savannah's house before heading back home. 


The rest of the month I was busy planning our end of year 5th grade activities with my team. It all turned out beautifully, from the Luau party to the ceremony itself. Here's to another year in 5th grade!





Today is all about this amazing guy! It's graduation day! We are so proud of him. He is headed off to UT Austin in August into the Liberal Arts Honors program to major in Anthropology. He hopes to head to law school eventually. Another Longhorn in the house! Hook 'em.


As for the rest of the summer...we are going to keep on chasing those fireflies! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...