Skip to main content

Chasing fireflies...Spring of 2024


In April, while in Austin, I was enchanted to see an abundance of fireflies in Savannah's backyard. It brought tears to my eyes, not only because I find fireflies (or lightning bugs as we called them in the Midwest) intriguing and nostalgic, but because it was so fitting for where the Boyen Bunch is in life right now. After several attempts of "chasing" these fireflies with my camera, I captured a picture of one bright one lit up. Nature imitates life. The milestones my kids are reaching this spring are life-changing! The idiom chasing fireflies means chasing dreams, moments, and experiences that are captivating and elusive. We have two graduates this year. Savannah graduated from UT and Jonas graduates today from Comm. Arts HS. The moments this spring are fleeting, just like the light of a firefly. Here one moment and gone the next...

I have referred to May as Mayhem for years (not claiming the idea, just saying I've been using this term for a bit). I have many previous posts that are either titled "Mayhem" or make a reference to it. Seven posts to be exact, the first being written in 2016. I saw a lot of memes about May-cember too, but Mayhem will always be my favorite. Even with just two kids at home, this spring was still full of Mayhem. 

On April 1 a former 3rd/5th grade student honored me at her Senior Ceremony. I was thrilled. 



Jonas was honored at a Top 10 breakfast that same week. He's graduating number three in his class. 


The eclipse was a major event at school. It was cloudy, but super cool experience just the same. 


Lorelei had End of Year Aquatic Events like the party and awards ceremony. They awarded her the Small But Mighty Award!


Jonas had his Senior picture session. Savannah was home for the weekend, so she assisted his friend who took the pictures for us. 




This picture was the last one taken. Savannah decided he needed some of the spring flowers behind his ears as a joke. But funny enough, this was our favorite picture! It was the cover of his grad announcements. 


We had a three day weekend at the end of April and made a trip to Austin. We went to all of Savannah's favorite parks and just relaxed. 





Lorelei turned 17 on May 3rd! It was a simple birthday since all she wanted was her bed! It was a Friday and the school week always wears her out. 


She's finally taller than the birthday cake!



After her three hour nap, she woke up and wanted Winstop and cake. We Doordashed the wings and John whipped up a cake. It was nearly 10:00 p.m.!!


Helotes Cornyval always happens her birthday weekend, so she spent most of her weekend there, including some good ole fashioned face painting. 


The next week was filled! It's nice when Bailey comes by to just chill with us for bit. It was the calm before the fun storm!


We squeezed in John's birthday too. 


Jonas had his Senior walk at Carson. It was so great to see so many of his friends and my prior students. 




Cindy AKA Miss G. was in town and came by for dinner and we grabbed a picture looking a bit spiffier than the night before. She was my student teacher with this group of kids! And now we are just BFFs! 


That same day I had  Fiesta Texas field trip with my 5th graders and that night we had to head to Austin for Savannah's UT graduation!


What an amazing day for ou girl! We couldn't be prouder. 







She is actually moving home for a year to San Antonio. She will be doing her Post Bacc work at Trinity Universtiy as a Reasearch Assistant in their Department of Neuroscience. She's excited for her future!

Mother's Day was the next day. We had a simple breakfast in Austin at Savannah's house before heading back home. 


The rest of the month I was busy planning our end of year 5th grade activities with my team. It all turned out beautifully, from the Luau party to the ceremony itself. Here's to another year in 5th grade!





Today is all about this amazing guy! It's graduation day! We are so proud of him. He is headed off to UT Austin in August into the Liberal Arts Honors program to major in Anthropology. He hopes to head to law school eventually. Another Longhorn in the house! Hook 'em.


As for the rest of the summer...we are going to keep on chasing those fireflies! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o