Skip to main content

Back-to-school 2024

 

I've been avoiding writing again. If I write about back-to-school, I must admit how hard things have been.  My heart has been broken by the harsh reality that my children are grown up. Being a teacher during back-to-school is easy for me. I'm a pro at that. My ELA buddy teacher even told me I could do it in my sleep. But facing the challenges of parenting young adults making major life transitions pulls at my heartstrings. 

This school year, I only have two active students right now, and Bailey is in the works for a return to Texas Tech in the Spring semester. Lorelei started back first. She's a Senior! She had her first college visit at the beginning of August and most likely her last! She loved Texas State.  



This was followed by Senior pictures. 




We grabbed some sushi from our favorite restaurant after. 


Then it was Senior Sunrise and the first day of school for her. 



My first days back were great. I always enjoy reuniting with my team and Wernli peeps!






What a perfect job to get to work with all your besties!

During the first week of school, I had to take Friday off to move Jonas into the dorms. It was a successful move-in. He said all his goodbyes and we were off. Jonas and I were quick and he kept his room simple. 








His sisters came up in the afternoon to see the place and hang out. 







He was gracious enough to send me a first day of school photo.
 

Bailey and Lorelei came by school during the second week to help me start the work on our Literacy Lounge. This is what I'm doing with the grant money I won last year. 




Their favorite form of payment for help is always food out! 


Phase one is complete thanks to my kids and some Watch Dog Dads who helped finish building furniture. 

Jonas came home Labor Day weekend and we filled the weekend with a combination of rest, relaxation, and outings. 

We watched Brieley's water polo game. 


Grabbed some Starbies. 


Watched some football. 
 Got a haircut.
Went to the park.

Grabbed a burger.
Went for a hike. 

And brunch. 

Lorelei couldn't let Labor Day weekend go by without fulfilling the song by Tim McGraw.

It was Labor Day weekend and she's 17, so she bought a Coke and some gasoline! 
Funny girl!

My Longhorns hanging out.


And the best part...the two hours all four kids were home at the same time. 


Slowly my heart will adjust to this new normal around here. As long as these four always know how much I love and adore them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an