Skip to main content

Ordinary summer, extraordinary memories

Our summer's been another ordinary summer, much like the past I don't know, 17 summers with kids! That seems crazy to write, I've had kids of mine own for 17 summers, yet I remember my childhood summer's vividly.  Although there are ordinary moments abound, summer's are often pack full of extraordinary memories.

We celebrated the 4th in the ordinary manner...fireworks, food and family.  We started a tradition last year of getting half priced Sonic shakes, and then heading to O'Connor High School's field, to watch the Helotes fireworks.  I have learn a thing or two from last year...bring some entertainment for while you wait, like playing cards!









The kids annual 4th of July photo...



Food and Family...




Of course, there's lots of sleeping in, too much t.v. and technology, and plenty of fun in the sun. We try to fill the days with activities, including chores.  I'm trying something new this summer, chore cards.  I had success with last summer's grab bag, but new ideas give new motivation.  I used the business card template on Word to create this little card.  The kids get a punch or two for each chore they complete or help with. When filled with 12 punches, they can trade it in for a reward.  Lorelei has really taken to it and earned two trips to Target to get some things for her dolls.  The chore card pays for half and her own birthday money pays the other half.


Things like walking the dogs and watering the plants earn punches on the chore card.



Here's one of Lorelei's rewards.  She bought a cute Our Generation set from Target.  We turned a cardboard box into a doll size Lemonade stand!



Summer also means I'm always driving someone to sleepovers or to hang out with friends. This summer, Savannah's bestie moved to Galveston.  This has put a whole new meaning to chauffeuring kids around. I drove half way to Maddie's, to Columbus, Texas to meet her and her sister to pick up Savannah. That's 142 miles from our house!  When it was time to pick up again, we decided to make a day at the beach out of it, with an overnight stay at Maddie's families new place.











It was a beautiful night and a beautiful place.


Thanks Maddie!






Being near Houston allowed us to take some time to meet Roslene, on the way back home, for dinner and a carousel ride at the mall.





There are plenty more ordinary summer days to fill with extraordinary memories.






Comments

  1. How fun!! Glad savannah got to see her bestie ! Chore cards huh? Hmmm... not a bad idea! 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...