Skip to main content

Ordinary summer, extraordinary memories

Our summer's been another ordinary summer, much like the past I don't know, 17 summers with kids! That seems crazy to write, I've had kids of mine own for 17 summers, yet I remember my childhood summer's vividly.  Although there are ordinary moments abound, summer's are often pack full of extraordinary memories.

We celebrated the 4th in the ordinary manner...fireworks, food and family.  We started a tradition last year of getting half priced Sonic shakes, and then heading to O'Connor High School's field, to watch the Helotes fireworks.  I have learn a thing or two from last year...bring some entertainment for while you wait, like playing cards!









The kids annual 4th of July photo...



Food and Family...




Of course, there's lots of sleeping in, too much t.v. and technology, and plenty of fun in the sun. We try to fill the days with activities, including chores.  I'm trying something new this summer, chore cards.  I had success with last summer's grab bag, but new ideas give new motivation.  I used the business card template on Word to create this little card.  The kids get a punch or two for each chore they complete or help with. When filled with 12 punches, they can trade it in for a reward.  Lorelei has really taken to it and earned two trips to Target to get some things for her dolls.  The chore card pays for half and her own birthday money pays the other half.


Things like walking the dogs and watering the plants earn punches on the chore card.



Here's one of Lorelei's rewards.  She bought a cute Our Generation set from Target.  We turned a cardboard box into a doll size Lemonade stand!



Summer also means I'm always driving someone to sleepovers or to hang out with friends. This summer, Savannah's bestie moved to Galveston.  This has put a whole new meaning to chauffeuring kids around. I drove half way to Maddie's, to Columbus, Texas to meet her and her sister to pick up Savannah. That's 142 miles from our house!  When it was time to pick up again, we decided to make a day at the beach out of it, with an overnight stay at Maddie's families new place.











It was a beautiful night and a beautiful place.


Thanks Maddie!






Being near Houston allowed us to take some time to meet Roslene, on the way back home, for dinner and a carousel ride at the mall.





There are plenty more ordinary summer days to fill with extraordinary memories.






Comments

  1. How fun!! Glad savannah got to see her bestie ! Chore cards huh? Hmmm... not a bad idea! 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ziplining!

Helotes Hill Country Zipline ...did you even know this place existed?  I know I have driven past the sign on Bandera Road, but honestly never paid much attention.  Because really, how awesome of a place can it be just two miles from my house?  I realize my house is on a hill and I know there are several large hills in our area, but I didn't realize what was literally in my own back yard. A sweet boy from Savannah's 8th grade Science class has been persistently pestering her to go ziplining with him.  She tried to say no a dozen times, in a dozen different ways.  She finally agreed last minute when she asked if she could bring someone.  After a few tries of different friends, she settled on her daddy!  He's an adventure junky, and honestly in the last 10 years, hasn't had a whole lot of adventure.  Lorelei and I went along to take pictures and watch.  It looked exhilarating and breathtaking, but with my fear of heights, I said a polite, ...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...

A fall full of fun...

Christmas is springing up all over. Even at school, our Principal has already put up our foyer tree and decorated the front office. Last year, the countdown sign went up with 40 days until Christmas; this year's says 48!  I've barely recovered from October! I think I'm going to need a minute before I can embrace the next holiday season. I'm still enjoying my fall mantle for now.  We did cram October full of fall fun. From new college adventures to old traditions at home.  The first weekend in October, we mixed things up a bit by heading to a movie on the lawn at The Rock at La Cantera. If you haven't been and live in SA, you must give it a try. We had perfect weather that evening.  Lorelei bravely went and got her first tattoo the next day. She picked a bundle of sweet pea flowers in honor of me. I call her sweet pea, especially through text when I tell her goodnight.  Jonas had his first official bike race. He and his team got some practice in on a race just no...