Skip to main content

My girls...

Disclaimer:  This blog post is all about my girls...my wonderful daughters.  Yes, I too am blessed with boys...my wonderful sons.  I promise one day soon, to feature them in their own blog post as well (that is if they'd even let me!). 

These beauties...and they are beauties, inside and out.  They are kind, smart, clever, creative, imaginative, problem solvers and well...just plain old sweet.

One of daddy's girls...both have him wrapped around their little fingers!


Never a dull moment shopping.

 Or eating out...

Ready for a picture anytime, anywhere. (this is in McDonalds!)

 Sweet sisters...



They make me get in pictures too...

Summer selfies!



On Thursday, for no particular reason, the girls decided to have a picnic upstairs. I was in the kitchen, piddling around, when they invited me.  Who can turn down a lunch date like that?  Did I mention they made and organized everything?  I was completely a guest. And Savannah's room is just lovely for a picnic.






We brought up The Talking Jar.  I believe that was Lorelei's idea.  I made this jar at Carson with the counselors one day.  They had a nice little make and take for parents.  The jar is filled with neat little questions.  We answered things like:  Where's you favorite place to go? (Savannah won the best answer there...home!)  name 3 friends and tell about them, would you rather be rich or famous? (we all said rich, but we'd give to others!), if you were an animal...what would you be? We had great conversations and lunch lingered.  I highly recommend The Talking Jar!



Being girly girls, after lunch Savannah and Lorelei had planned to do nails and make-up.  Of course, I had to join in! 





Honestly, these unplanned, at home, totally FREE moments, are some of the best quality time with kids and wonderful memories.


This week Lorelei has been really into helping around the house.  We started with a summer chore jar to earn some money.  She gets a quarter here, dime there, for helping out.  I reminded her some chores you don't get paid for, because they are part of being a family and working together.  But some chores are worth a little extra.  Lorelei then suggested we make a "Grab Bag" like we teacher sometimes have at school.  This is such an easy, motivating, practically free and fun idea!

Here's how:
1.  Get a bag you already have, cute tote bag, small drawstring bag, a gift bag, whatever works! We selected a Tinkerbelle drawstring bag we had.

2.  Have the kids cut some index cards or colored paper into squares or rectangles.  This is not the usual 4 hour, spend a bunch of money, curse a few times cause it's impossible, Pinterest project! Ha!

3.  Have the same kids write in marker, some of their favorite at home activities, treats, or even a few that might cost a little money and take place outside of home.  Here's a few my girls came up with:

Choose a day to go to the pool, make a sibling do your chore, pick an activity to do at home with mommy, pick a game for game night, pick a friend to come over, choose what's for dinner, have a picnic with mommy and a sibling, 2 hours of t.v., pick the movie for movie night and my favorite, a date with mommy. 

Now of course, all of this can include daddy too (or instead of!), but this deal was between me and the kids.  You could come up with another one for daddy or have him add his 2 cents on some of the cards.

4.  Here's a tough step...place cards in bag.  Wheew!  You might need a nap now!  Grab bag is complete!

When might kids get to pick from said Grab Bag?  Well, we decided you could go to the grab bag if you did a bunch of chores without being told, or were particularly kind to a sibling, or maybe helped mommy make dinner, or maybe just because!   My kids are really pretty good about behavior, they can be crummy listeners and fight a bit with each other, but overall, I won't be using the Grab Bag for behavior motivation, but that might be a great reason too.

Here's our grab bag...



Since it was Lorelei's idea and she'd been working so hard on her chores, she picked a card first. You can make the kids pick blindly, or let them choose a specific card.  I figured it was Lorelei's idea, so she could pick a specific card.  She picked "a date with mommy".  John had a great idea for what I should do with her.  I told her it was a secret and we'd go this morning.

She was up and ready by 9:30.  She said "what about breakfast?"  That was part of her secret date.  We headed out and ended up here...


John has the best ideas!  We brought home some donuts to share, too.  She had asked if part of our date could be shopping (she is a girly girl!).  We headed to Books A Million first. 


The Boyen Bunch does love books!  We also went to Hallmark, another favorite store of Lorelei's.  We were only gone about 2 hours, but isn't it about quality, not quantity.  I'm looking forward to my next opportunity to have a date with one of my kids.  Jonas is planning to work super hard this week on helping out so he can go on a date soon. 

Now what am I gonna come up with for the boys!?!?  ;)

Have a super Saturday...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even