Skip to main content

Goodbye to my 30's

It's time to be retrospective, thoughtful and reflective or heck...just party like I'm turning 40!!  I looked back at my post from last year, listing a lovely bucket list of what I might accomplish in my 39th year of life.  I can check off a few items like,  to do some of the projects I've pinned on Pinterest! and ~relax and go with the flow more...stop resisting the things that cause my tension. A few items didn't happen like, finish a quilt I started and take a family vacation out of the state of Texas!  And I am OK with that (see how I go with the flow!) . The year was a realatively quiet one, with many family memories and even some pretty huge moments.  I'm pleased and proud.

My thirties, as a decade...I feel great about.  I can say I accomplished quite a bit, including: birthing two children (Jonas and Lorelei), surviving Lorelei's first 3 years of medical hell and still not having a diagnosis,  becoming a college professor, returning to elementary teaching, beginning my blog, moving into a new home, overcoming some major life curve balls.  All in all...worth every moment of joy and sorrow, pleasure and pain, confidence and fear.

Looking ahead, I can't even anticipate what the next decade will bring...I'll have two children who will have graduated from high school and gone on to college!  That seems unfathomable!  So instead, I'll think of only the next year...better yet, the next day.  Tomorrow...my 40th birthday.  I hope it's one I'll never forget.

My last photo in my 30's, taken by Savannah!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...