Skip to main content

I'm not ready for summer to end...

Actually, summer is only ending for me. The rest of my Boyen Bunch gets to enjoy a couple more weeks of summer. We are officially starting our "College Era"  (Lorelei thinks it's incredibly cheesy that I call it that, but it's true!). And classes don't start for all of them until August 25. 


I have to head back to school tomorrow. It's the first time in 20 years that I haven't had a child in Northside ISD. Crazy to wrap my head around. All four of my kids will be in college this year. 

Bailey is taking online classes at Texas Tech. He's had a few hiccups that have prevented him from moving to Lubbock yet. He's still hoping to arrive before the fall semester ends. He's aiming for October. Thank goodness for online classes. He plans to complete his degree with an Interdisciplinary Major in Sociology, Music, and Computer Science.


No matter what they are studying this fall, they are still just as silly as they were when they were little. 


Savannah is beginning her graduate studies/PhD this fall! She's excited to work with new professors and begin new research. She plans to still work if she can at Trinity with her current research. This summer, she's been working on a manuscript for her current research, which may be published with her as the primary researcher! We are so proud of Savannah the Scientist.

Jonas is beginning his second year at UT. This year, he is adding a second major in Biology. He will be a double major continuing with his current major of Anthropology. He's also super excited to be taking part in an exclusive club called the Texas 4000. He will be training to ride a bike from Austin to Alaska next summer. In addition to training, he will be working on Fundraising to fight Cancer as part of this program. He's moving into a student apartment this month. He's thrilled to finally have a kitchen to cook in as he is quite the chef already. 

He did have a chance to finally relax and just hang out at home this summer after his adventures to both Belize and Pecos, Texas. 

Lorelei is mostly ready to head to Texas State in two weeks. We went to orientation, and it was touch and go for a bit. She wasn't sure she was ready to head off to college. She made a super mature decision the second morning of her orientation. She said if she didn't take the chance to go out of her comfort zone and live in the dorms, and such, she would just continue with her same habits at home if she went to community college. She just knew she needed to push herself to do the harder things. We cried together, and I was so proud of her decision. Since that moment, there have still been plenty of tears from both of us, as this is a scary step. It may be a challenge, but I think she can do it! Now let's hope I can too. I can't believe my baby is going to college! I'm so glad it's only an hour away. 





July was filled with the usual summer shenanigans: food, family, friends, hanging out,  reading, working out, running, swimming, biking, hiking, shopping, doctor's appointments, adventures,  and travel (3 out of 4 Boyen's kiddos went on their own vacations with friends). Of course, there was plenty of rest and relaxation too.  


































What makes me the saddest about returning to work/school tomorrow is not seeing my kids. We may not have gone on a magical vacation, but we made some magical memories at home. I'll miss filling my days with these guys. 

And as soon as I get settled at school, it will be time to get the two youngest Boyen's off to college! Can't wait to share all about our "College Era"! Stay tuned...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...