Skip to main content

A fall full of fun...

Christmas is springing up all over. Even at school, our Principal has already put up our foyer tree and decorated the front office. Last year, the countdown sign went up with 40 days until Christmas; this year's says 48! 

I've barely recovered from October! I think I'm going to need a minute before I can embrace the next holiday season. I'm still enjoying my fall mantle for now. 
We did cram October full of fall fun. From new college adventures to old traditions at home. 
The first weekend in October, we mixed things up a bit by heading to a movie on the lawn at The Rock at La Cantera. If you haven't been and live in SA, you must give it a try. We had perfect weather that evening. 
Lorelei bravely went and got her first tattoo the next day. She picked a bundle of sweet pea flowers in honor of me. I call her sweet pea, especially through text when I tell her goodnight. 

Jonas had his first official bike race. He and his team got some practice in on a race just north of Austin. They didn't place, but it was a great start.
The second weekend in October sent the girls and me to Lampasas, Texas, for a wedding. One of Savannah's besties since elementary school at Carson was getting married, and Savannah was a bridesmaid. It was such a blessing to be a part of. 
Getting ready in the bridal suite...
Just gorgeous!
At the ceremony.

Let the fun begin!



Ashton was a beautiful bride, but I could still see her as the sweet 10-year-old who used to come for sleepovers. 

We stayed with the bridal party in an Airbnb. We woke up to a cool, beautiful morning.

We grabbed some coffee and, oddly enough, chicken nachos for Lorelei's breakfast. Silly girl will eat anything for breakfast. 

And if the wedding wasn't enough fun, after returning to San Antonio that morning, we rested a bit and headed out to Hondo for the last free teacher weekend at the Graff Ranch and Corn Maze. I got both Bailey and John to tag along on this one. Lorelei brought Madi along. 
The corn maze is not actually corn; it's sorghum!



Our October weekend travel adventures continued. Lorelei and I headed to Austin the next weekend to see Jonas and go to the county fair with Caressa. 





I invested in a new air mattress after sleeping on the floor in Lorelei's dorm last month. Worth every penny!
Jonas made us a late dinner after the fair. It was yummy.
We woke up and realized I needed coffee, and Jonas isn't a coffee drinker, so we headed to one of my favorite Austin hangouts, Mozart's.

We dropped him off for a group project and headed home. 
We celebrated Bailey's birthday at one of his favorite places, Saporro's! I can't believe he's 26. 


The girls and I played Mario Kart, one of Bailey's favorite games. 
Nana and I headed to Bandera with him the next day. We walked a bit at Bandera City Park and grabbed a burger at Old Spanish Trail. 


We came home to Madi and Lorelei carving pumpkins. Madi had never carved one before. 


I forgot how yummy roasted pumpkin seeds are. 
Nana and Savannah went to visit Jonas as an early birthday treat. 


Halloween was not as crazy at school as I anticipated. We sure looked cute for book character day. 
Lorelei stayed at school and went to a Halloween party with friends.
Bailey, Savannah, and I went to Nana's for a bit. We helped Savannah get ready for a Halloween party. 
And Jonas was fundraising on 6th street for Texas 4000. 
Even though Jonas's birthday is November 2nd, I feel like it's the last major event of October. Bailey, Lorelei, and I headed to Austin for his birthday. Savannah had too much studying to do to join us this time, plus she had celebrated with him earlier.
Brotherly love...
He picked a new trail to hike in Austin called Turkey Creek Trail. 
We grabbed a bite to eat at Central Market. The weather was just perfect.
I can't believe he's 20! Not a teenager anymore. 

We really squeezed every last minute out of October. It was such a fun month with my Boyen Bunch. But I'm looking forward to some rest this November, especially Thanksgiving break, when all four of them will be home together. My nest will be full. 

Happy Fall Y'All. Let's enjoy these last days full of gratitude, before the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...