Skip to main content

Feeling a little salty...

 


It may not look like I'm feeling a little salty in this picture, but  I was. It's June, and summer vacation had just started. All the chaos of May had me feeling a little tired, and I was experiencing what I thought was mild back pain from sciatica. I had noticed a few spots on my back and leg that looked like bug bites. Savannah was over, and we were about to head out to the pool when she noticed a crazy rash on my leg. She FaceTimed my mom, who said it looks like shingles?!?! John didn't agree and thought there was no way. Savannah insisted I go to urgent care. What do you know...I did have shingles. As soon as I mentioned how busy my month had been, that I was a teacher, had a Senior graduating, etc. The doctor said stress is one of the biggest causes of shingles. I was lucky this sweet girl of mine made me go get checked out. I was able to start meds and caught it early. 


I did not have time for shingles! Hence the saltiness. That same week was Lorelei's high school graduation, and her party was the next week. There's no rest for the weary, as they say. 

June 5th was the big day! Bright and early, Lorelei had to be at the Alamodome. 


Funny enough, although not planned, I picked the same section as Jen, and we were able to watch our kiddos graduate together. Seems only fitting since we have spent the last 10 years as coworkers and friends, going through the trials and tribulations of raising teenagers. 












It is bittersweet for our baby girl to graduate! We have had a child in the Northside school district for the last 20 years! The Boyen Bunch era in public school came to an end. 

Lorelei spent the first two weeks of summer going to graduation parties and celebrating with friends. Andrea is going to Texas State, too, so I can see many more adventures in their future. On this day, they were headed off to Concan for a few days on the Frio River. 


River rats are looking good!


She also waited until after her ceremony to get her long-awaited nose piercing, following in her big sister's footsteps. 

Off to another party!

Finally, it was time for her own! She was happy with how the party turned out. Thankfully, I had some good medicine on board for the week to help me power through the shingles. We pulled off a super cute and successful grad party. 















Jonas got home from Belize just in time for the party. One of his besties from college, Caressa, asked if she could surprise him by coming to San Antonio and picking him up from the airport with me. He was definitely surprised! 


They spent some time hanging out with Savannah and her bestie, Derk, (aka Jonathan). These four were a hoot together. 


Jonas was barely home before he headed out for his next adventure to West Texas. He got a job for the month of June working for an engineering firm on the pipeline in Pecos. Great money and experience. 





June is a big month for Savannah, too. She celebrated her 23rd birthday!




We had a bridal shower on her birthday for one of her friends. 



One of Lorelei's besties, Madi, has a birthday on the same day as Savannah. 


We had a pool day to celebrate Savannah, Madi, Brieley, and my sister's birthday, which are all between June 20-24. 

This week, Savannah moved, hopefully for the last time for a while. She downsized from her 3-bedroom rental home into a one-bedroom, adorable apartment. With her Ph.D program beginning in August, she needed to simplify and find a space she loved more. Although the house was nice, it just wasn't what she needed anymore. Her new apartment is just two miles from us, so we will be able to help more while she's busy studying. 

These two were a huge help!



We are calling this place her treehouse. This sweet little entrance opens to her own staircase to the second story. Her windows look out into the trees. It's like being in a treehouse. 


Her friends came through for her and helped get the first loads inside! 




John has worked really hard for his girl this week. 



Tomorrow we will finish cleaning up the house so she can turn in her keys on Monday. I can't wait to share some pictures of the treehouse when she's all moved in.

As for me, I am almost completely recovered from the shingles. I've done some of my favorite summer activities while resting and recovering: lunch with friends, summer salads, pool time with my girls, and reading! 






I'm hoping that any "salty" feelings I may have in July will actually come from the ocean! 😂

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...