Skip to main content

Feeling a little salty...

 


It may not look like I'm feeling a little salty in this picture, but  I was. It's June, and summer vacation had just started. All the chaos of May had me feeling a little tired, and I was experiencing what I thought was mild back pain from sciatica. I had noticed a few spots on my back and leg that looked like bug bites. Savannah was over, and we were about to head out to the pool when she noticed a crazy rash on my leg. She FaceTimed my mom, who said it looks like shingles?!?! John didn't agree and thought there was no way. Savannah insisted I go to urgent care. What do you know...I did have shingles. As soon as I mentioned how busy my month had been, that I was a teacher, had a Senior graduating, etc. The doctor said stress is one of the biggest causes of shingles. I was lucky this sweet girl of mine made me go get checked out. I was able to start meds and caught it early. 


I did not have time for shingles! Hence the saltiness. That same week was Lorelei's high school graduation, and her party was the next week. There's no rest for the weary, as they say. 

June 5th was the big day! Bright and early, Lorelei had to be at the Alamodome. 


Funny enough, although not planned, I picked the same section as Jen, and we were able to watch our kiddos graduate together. Seems only fitting since we have spent the last 10 years as coworkers and friends, going through the trials and tribulations of raising teenagers. 












It is bittersweet for our baby girl to graduate! We have had a child in the Northside school district for the last 20 years! The Boyen Bunch era in public school came to an end. 

Lorelei spent the first two weeks of summer going to graduation parties and celebrating with friends. Andrea is going to Texas State, too, so I can see many more adventures in their future. On this day, they were headed off to Concan for a few days on the Frio River. 


River rats are looking good!


She also waited until after her ceremony to get her long-awaited nose piercing, following in her big sister's footsteps. 

Off to another party!

Finally, it was time for her own! She was happy with how the party turned out. Thankfully, I had some good medicine on board for the week to help me power through the shingles. We pulled off a super cute and successful grad party. 















Jonas got home from Belize just in time for the party. One of his besties from college, Caressa, asked if she could surprise him by coming to San Antonio and picking him up from the airport with me. He was definitely surprised! 


They spent some time hanging out with Savannah and her bestie, Derk, (aka Jonathan). These four were a hoot together. 


Jonas was barely home before he headed out for his next adventure to West Texas. He got a job for the month of June working for an engineering firm on the pipeline in Pecos. Great money and experience. 





June is a big month for Savannah, too. She celebrated her 23rd birthday!




We had a bridal shower on her birthday for one of her friends. 



One of Lorelei's besties, Madi, has a birthday on the same day as Savannah. 


We had a pool day to celebrate Savannah, Madi, Brieley, and my sister's birthday, which are all between June 20-24. 

This week, Savannah moved, hopefully for the last time for a while. She downsized from her 3-bedroom rental home into a one-bedroom, adorable apartment. With her Ph.D program beginning in August, she needed to simplify and find a space she loved more. Although the house was nice, it just wasn't what she needed anymore. Her new apartment is just two miles from us, so we will be able to help more while she's busy studying. 

These two were a huge help!



We are calling this place her treehouse. This sweet little entrance opens to her own staircase to the second story. Her windows look out into the trees. It's like being in a treehouse. 


Her friends came through for her and helped get the first loads inside! 




John has worked really hard for his girl this week. 



Tomorrow we will finish cleaning up the house so she can turn in her keys on Monday. I can't wait to share some pictures of the treehouse when she's all moved in.

As for me, I am almost completely recovered from the shingles. I've done some of my favorite summer activities while resting and recovering: lunch with friends, summer salads, pool time with my girls, and reading! 






I'm hoping that any "salty" feelings I may have in July will actually come from the ocean! 😂

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ziplining!

Helotes Hill Country Zipline ...did you even know this place existed?  I know I have driven past the sign on Bandera Road, but honestly never paid much attention.  Because really, how awesome of a place can it be just two miles from my house?  I realize my house is on a hill and I know there are several large hills in our area, but I didn't realize what was literally in my own back yard. A sweet boy from Savannah's 8th grade Science class has been persistently pestering her to go ziplining with him.  She tried to say no a dozen times, in a dozen different ways.  She finally agreed last minute when she asked if she could bring someone.  After a few tries of different friends, she settled on her daddy!  He's an adventure junky, and honestly in the last 10 years, hasn't had a whole lot of adventure.  Lorelei and I went along to take pictures and watch.  It looked exhilarating and breathtaking, but with my fear of heights, I said a polite, ...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...

A fall full of fun...

Christmas is springing up all over. Even at school, our Principal has already put up our foyer tree and decorated the front office. Last year, the countdown sign went up with 40 days until Christmas; this year's says 48!  I've barely recovered from October! I think I'm going to need a minute before I can embrace the next holiday season. I'm still enjoying my fall mantle for now.  We did cram October full of fall fun. From new college adventures to old traditions at home.  The first weekend in October, we mixed things up a bit by heading to a movie on the lawn at The Rock at La Cantera. If you haven't been and live in SA, you must give it a try. We had perfect weather that evening.  Lorelei bravely went and got her first tattoo the next day. She picked a bundle of sweet pea flowers in honor of me. I call her sweet pea, especially through text when I tell her goodnight.  Jonas had his first official bike race. He and his team got some practice in on a race just no...