Skip to main content

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May.

March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us. 



When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things. 

Nowhere Bookshop...
Train ride in Brackenridge Park...

Sushi at Sapporo...
Chalkfest with Jonas...
April was a tough month. After wrapping up a second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei, we received heartwrenching news on Easter weekend. One of my students from last year had passed away in an ATV accident. It really hit me hard, as well as the Wernli community. Last year's class was one of my favorites, and I knew this was going to be hard on his friends and family. We had barely made it through services and memorials for him when we found out one of our Wernli teachers had suffered a medical emergency and passed away as well. Our community came together in prayer and friendship. We are truly a family. The prayer and love helped us all to get through this hard time and come out stronger in the end. These losses have helped strengthen me in ways I didn't expect. Both are gone, but will never be forgotten by their Wernli family.

Easter was hard after just receiving the news, but we enjoyed family time and a FaceTime from Jonas. 






Addison came to visit for the weekend and joined us on the field trip to Sea World. 




The kids were excited to celebrate Lorelei's birthday at school. 


Lorelei's 19th birthday weekend was super fun. We literally counted down. 
The moment before midnight...
Officially 19!
Birthday breakfast before we headed out for a fun-filled day at Cornyval.






It was so nice that Alexis joined us! Lorelei loved having someone to ride all the rides with!


Savannah stopped by to give her a gift and joined us for dinner and cake. 



Jonas made it home in time to celebrate John's birthday. It was great to get to spend some time with him. I've missed him this semester. He rarely made it home due to practice for Texas 4000.

Happy 56th birthday to John!


Jonas came to school too. The kids had been asking for him.



They really liked him a lot. 

We had a nice night listening to Mr. Kline play (a usual outing for us) and catching up with Aparna. 
Casey joined us for the first time. Other than a few mosquitoes and some tiredness, I think she enjoyed it too. 
The next morning, we headed to Texas State to help Lorelei move out of the dorms. Jonas got a chance to explore San Mo a bit with Lorelei and Addison. After, I dropped him back off in Austin. 







That next week I went to Austin two more times! Jonas had gotten us tickets to Sting as a gift. It was a great night. 


Lorelei joined us, and the next day we ran errands to help Jonas with his last-minute prep for his big bike to Alaska trip with Texas 4000.



We got to go to the Texas 4000 office and meet some great people and see some behind-the-scenes. 

On Saturday, May 16, we headed back to Austin bright and early for the big send-off. We are so incredibly proud of Jonas. Not only did he raise over $7600 for cancer, but he is the ride director who helped bring the team together, train, and organize for this 4000 mile bike ride from Austin to Alaska. 
It's a tradition to shave your head for the event. Jonas was happy to oblige and commit 100 percent to this. Luckily, he's handsome with or without his glorious locks. 
Before...
After...

Ride directors gave speeches. 
He dedicated his ride to Lorelei and all the medical challenges she has faced in her short 19 years. We all shed tears! 



Proud Momma!


Off they go!
Stay tuned for updates throughout the summer!

Lorelei helped me wrap up final events at Wernli that week too. 
We did the final walk to school with the 5th graders.
The Adventure Awaits, Around the World theme for the end-of-the-year party was a hit. 



The promotion ceremony was a beautiful success too. 




Logan and Lorelei became besties this year. Logan became a little sister to Lorelei. Their bond is so sweet. Logan came back after the ceremony to hang out and help pack the room. 
My team! The best! We are losing two teammates this year. Nannette is retiring, and Maria is heading off to new adventures. We had a fabulous year. 
I received my 20-year pin from Northside, although it was my 25th year teaching. 
All done!
But one last lunch...funny enough, we ran into 4th grade team and joined them. 
Summer break has already had a few adventures, but that will have to wait for the next post. This one is already busting at the seams!

Happy summer break, friends! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...