Skip to main content

Summertime blues...

 

...with a few growing pains. 


There are many stages of parenting, just as there are many stages of kids and growing up. The only constant in these stages is change. Right now with this Boyen Bunch of mine, it is certainly the summer of change. Each of my kiddos is facing some sort of change, some more dramatic than others, but each with a taste of independence and challenges. It's definitely been a different summer than we have experienced before. You would think at the ages of 17, 18, 22, and 24, the kids would need me less. Ironically, as their independence grows, they have each needed me more than in the summer of their younger years. 

Bailey has moved back home in preparation for returning to Texas Tech (fingers crossed) in the Spring semester to complete his degree in music. He loves golfing and took us to hit some balls the first week of summer. Lorelei isn't a fan and said she'll stick to diving. 




Savannah has had a bittersweet return to San Antonio, where she's gotten her own place and a big girl job at Trinity University doing her Post-bacc work in the Department of Neuroscience, as a Research Assistant studying aging in capuchin monkeys. She's definitely going to miss Austin and college life. She's slowly reconnecting with old friends, and finding her way here in SA. She's super excited one of her college besties, Aparna is here too for Medical school. 





Jonas started his summer with his high school graduation. He is headed to UT Austin in August. He's been to orientation, worked out his financial aid, got a fellowship with a non-profit, and is already nearly 40% done with his degree, thanks to AP, UT On-Ramps, and Dual Credit courses. He's starting right into his major and anthropology courses. He's living in the honors dorms and is getting super excited. 





And our baby Lorelei is a Senior. She got her driver's license, spent six weeks in physical therapy, practiced with club diving all summer, and is ready for all things Senior year! She is stronger than ever! Plus well rested, as she spent most of her summer sleeping! 






She had the best PTs! 

The one thing we have done a lot of this summer is moving! And we aren't done yet. Savannah and Bailey are both finally settled. We drove to Austin twice this week alone to get the last of Savannah's things. 








Mission "Save the Couch" was a success last night! We literally drove back to Austin just for this couch that they got for free last year, but Savannah didn't want to part with it after all. 


We celebrated birthdays, played outside, ate tons of food, and had plenty of hanging out going on too.  

Birthdays...Brieley turned 16.




Savannah turned 22.



My sister turned...well, that's for her to share. 

Our pool time has been less than in years past, but we have still been several times, with plenty of friends in tow. 





Lorelei's been driving herself to diving this summer. The one night I joined her, she finally went off the 10 meter! It was impressive. 



We've had a ton of doctor's appointments this summer too. I think it drives the kids a little crazy how I document everything, but they are good sports, especially Lorelei. 





Summer entertainment comes in all sorts of forms: puzzles, ping pong, tennis, gym time, happy hour, gaming, shopping, and plenty of puppy time!















Tomorrow is August 1st, which means it is time for the summertime blues. It's funny, it takes me most of the summer to get used to having no routine or schedule. I even struggle a bit with a little sadness, mild depression, and boredom. The guilt from not doing enough, watching too much TV (We rewatched Breaking Bad!), and being unproductive in general, creates a weird sense of anxiety in me. When I finally get settled into being okay with it all, it's usually time to head back to school! It happens every summer. We aren't going on vacation this summer either, which makes me a little sad. No particular reason, other than too many schedules to coordinate. I'm hoping for a getaway over winter break this year. 

Hopefully, none of you are suffering from the summertime blues and are savoring this last month of summer. 

Happy August friends. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Back-to-school 2024

  I've been avoiding writing again. If I write about back-to-school, I must admit how hard things have been.  My heart has been broken by the harsh reality that my children are grown up. Being a teacher during back-to-school is easy for me. I'm a pro at that. My ELA buddy teacher even told me I could do it in my sleep. But facing the challenges of parenting young adults making major life transitions pulls at my heartstrings.  This school year, I only have two active students right now, and Bailey is in the works for a return to Texas Tech in the Spring semester. Lorelei started back first. She's a Senior! She had her first college visit at the beginning of August and most likely her last! She loved Texas State.   This was followed by Senior pictures.  We grabbed some sushi from our favorite restaurant after.  Then it was Senior Sunrise and the first day of school for her.  My first days back were great. I always enjoy reuniting with my team and Wernli peeps! What a perfect