Skip to main content

Enjoying the messiness...

 


I have two wonderful, crazy, and messy dogs. They bring joy, cuddles, laughs, and, well, you guessed it, messes. I have shredded rugs, window sills gnawed on, shoes with teeth marks, bare patches of dirt in the backyard, and muddy paw prints everywhere. 

Let's remember the people I live with, my teens and, the messiest in our family, my hubby. Not dirty messy, more like clutterbug. And I'm sure he's clutter-blind. Oh, he does his best with reminders, like when I remind him, "Don't forget, I like to eat at the kitchen table." Unfortunately, our breakfast room is on the way to the back door and patio, with a detached garage. John uses the table as a stopping point before putting things out in his garage. Yes, his garage. I stay out of there at all costs! 

What's my point? I feel a weird guilt almost daily over the normal messes of life in my house. I make my bed every morning around tiny messes in the corners of the room, where bags of donations have been sitting for the last month. I dust and vacuum weekly, (sometimes twice a week), while picking up the strange items John has waiting to find a home or to sell on eBay. Have I mentioned his love of vacuums? We currently own, 10, yes 10 vacuums. He's constantly looking for the perfect vacuum like I look for the perfect bag. Neither of us has found one, but quite a few work well. I work hard at staying on top of the kitchen, the laundry, and the bathrooms. They are always clean and done. Yet I think my house is a mess. 

I'm in the best self-care stage of my life. I work out regularly with Jonas, read, journal, meal plan, and cook healthy meals. I take my lunch to school. I have a real A game going! Yet, I feel like a mess. I have what's called imposter syndrome at the age of 51. How could I write a book sharing any expertise when I feel like my life is a mess? But is it? Or is it just a crazy perception I've created of myself, based on everything we see on social media? Or societal norms placed on women since the housewives of the 50s greeted their hubbies at the front door with pearls on and a martini in hand? Do I carry generational guilt? Do we? 

I'm working on reflecting on this idea and just letting it go. By acknowledging this guilt, feeling it, and releasing it, I can prevent myself from passing it on to my kids and the next generation. I'm going to enjoy the messiness!

Regardless of the messes, we always find time for family fun. March flew by and Spring has definitely sprung in Texas. 



Spring in Texas is beautiful. 


Spring break was restful and filled with family time, which we all know is my favorite. 

We love our outdoor time. OP Schnabel is our favorite park to walk and visit, especially after working out at the YMCA. 



It was great to have all four kids together. This is always a treat. 


Bananagrams bring the whole group together! Jonas also taught us Egyptian War which has been a ton of laughs and fun to play. 


We had brunch at La Panaderia and it was well worth the wait. 




Lorelei had diving all week from 9:00-12:00. She recently joined Club Diving again, in hopes of increasing her skill level and dives for her Senior year. She's now diving twice a week in the mornings and four times a week in the evenings. Dedicated girl!


She's working on her driving skills too. Last Boyen to teach to drive! Yay!! Savannah and Jonas have been helping too. 

Savannah was home on and off the week of Spring break which was so nice! I love having her home. She and Jandro did head to the beach one day on a day trip. 



Jonas and I hit the gym plenty and dragged Savannah when we could. He said he enjoys working out with her. 


We hit the movies for a girls' night out. We decided it's something we need to do more often for sure. 


Savannah went with me to run errands and get a haircut. Time for me to revisit the bob! 

I'm so excited to have found out that I won the $5,000 grant I wrote last month for a Literacy Lounge. Apple Eddie surprised me at school with music and a whole crew that presented my Apple. 




Savannah had her UT Senior/Grad pictures taken last month. The pictures came in and they are just stunning. She is so excited about her upcoming ceremony on May 11th. 


Here are a few of our favorite shots.




Today is Easter and it's been a wonderful weekend. We are getting ready to head over to my mom and dad's house for Easter and a late lunch. Savannah is home, and Bailey is stopping by before work. John, unfortunately, is working today and won't be joining us, but we will bring him leftovers.

Still making the kid's Easter baskets, but keeping them simple. 
 

I hope everyone has a glorious Easter and enjoys the messiness of it all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...