Skip to main content

Life is like a novel...

 

And I am the author and main character. 

It's a new year and my word of the year is novel. There are some obvious reasons an ELA teacher would select that word for my word of the year. I will be reading books, but that's not my new goal. What I need to do is write books. Having my word of the year be novel, I want to motivate myself to do more than just write in my journal and blog. Writing has a vulnerability that goes with it. As an author, you are sharing thoughts, dreams, worries, and wishes. I don't always feel confident enough that what I have to say is worth writing, and moreover, worth anyone reading. Not long ago, Savannah and Jandro spent a few hours reading aloud my journals from college. Savannah loved every bit of what she read. But was it because of my writing style and storytelling, or because she knew and already loved the main characters. I can't tell you how many times I've finished a book and said, "I could have written that!" I'd love any ideas and support for this novel of mine. Send me ideas! 

My other reason for the word novel is to push myself out of my comfort zone and try new things. I am a creature of habit and routine. I like to know what's happening and when. Having a novel approach to life will help create a sense of fun and joy. I made myself a list of 24 in 24! I was sure to include many novel ideas on this list. I printed my list from Gretchen Rubin's podcast resources. I highly recommend  The Happier Podcast, as well as any book by Gretchen. 


I love all the jokes about how long the month of January feels. I made this list back at the beginning of the month and that does seem like a long time ago! 

2024 is off to the usual start...so much for novelty! Actually, we have started going to the dog parks and that's something new for us. We even met friends there to let our pups play. There's been a lot of rain so we haven't been in a week or so. 






We went last weekend in Austin with Rio.  Lorelei says dog parks are the best dose of serotin! They make her happy. 


I had a nice night out with Lori at the beginning of the month. We went to a movie premiere! It was so cool to see one of the previous Carson students create something so amazing. It was such a great experience. We even got to dress up for the red carpet. 




We have been hitting the gym hard.  No pain, no gain right!


We tried a new class with Nana in her neighborhood. It was a barre pilates class. That was quite the workout!


Lorelei had a district dive meet, or should I say, didn't have it. It was a rough time for her. The weather had been making it hard to even get in the water. Lorelei didn't feel ready for the meet. She had asked her coach earlier in the week if she could skip the meet. He pushed her to give it a try anyway. She panicked and cried the whole drive there, actually before we even left home. She attempted to warm up but had the biggest panic attack I have seen from her. After some calming down and discussion, she was brave enough to tell her coach she just couldn't do it. I did encourage her to try and just have fun, but she had some valid points about why she didn't need to compete. I had to listen to her. Of course, I didn't want her to quit, but then I realized sitting out of one meet did not make her a quitter. Funny enough, a few days ago, when the team was getting details together about heading to regionals, she had a bit of regret about not competing. We have a plan and idea to get her back on track with diving and hopefully build her confidence back up for Spring Syncho season and Senior year. 






The best part of January is my birthday! I wanted to head to Austin for a weekend of fun with the kids. Nana and Bailey even joined us on Saturday. 

We love hanging out at Savannah's little house in the heart of Austin's North Campus/Hyde Park area. 


Saturday we headed out to the Capitol. 



The best gift ever was a day with all four kids!






We had a yummy late lunch at Scholz Biergarten.




Bailey and Nana headed back home after lunch. 


Sunday we headed to Zilker Park and First Light Bookstore. 



My actual birthday was pretty fabulous too, especially for a school day. 

John started my day with great gifts...and the day just continued with my favorite people and students! 

Coffee from Jen...




My workout buddy just won't let up!
 

John made wings for the whole crew for my birthday dinner. 





Savannah joined us via FaceTime. 


It's the birthday that keeps giving too. Seems like every day for the last week, someone different slips me a late gift or birthday wish. 

Savannah and Lorelei got me the cutest book-themed blanket. Perfect for snuggling up with a good book. 



I loved all the book-themed gifts. Thanks, Cathy for the sweet gifts and yummy cake! 



If I haven't mentioned how much I love my school people...fellow teachers, but really friends, let me introduce this ELA soul mate of mine, Melina! We teach and think so much alike we accidentally dress alike too!

Working with her makes teaching reading and writing just a little sweeter. 

My goal for February is to really settle into writing and to do a few novel things. 

I'm going to keep creating a life worth writing about!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even