Skip to main content

Happy Leap Day!

 

Today my students were writing letters to their future selves that they will open on February 29, 2028. They will be a freshman in high school. They were enjoying thinking of all the possibilities four years could provide them. As young people, a lot can change in that time. But what about at our adult age? How much can really change for me in four years? In 2028, the next Leap Year, I will potentially have an empty nest. My Boyen Bunch will be grown: Bailey will be 28, Savannah will be 25, Jonas will be 22 and my baby, Lorelei will be 20. I could be a mother-in-law, or even a grandma by then! I may have another two or even three more college graduates. Perhaps, that novel of mine will actually be written and published. Who knows...a lot can happen in just four years!

Although I didn't quite follow through on last month's goal of getting started on my novel, I did do some major writing. I wrote three grants! One for myself, one with my ELA bestie for a Literacy Lounge, and one for/with my teammate for Science. I'll keep you posted on whether we win any of those grants. Fingers crossed!


We had a few school events too. Lorelei has been getting NHS hours and helping out with me. 




She is not only rewarded with volunteer hours but also her favorite quick dinner out, Panda Express!


Savannah came home for a weekend and was excited to actually get her college diploma!


She also helped Lorelei finish a ton of hard math! 


Then she went and surprised us by getting a tattoo on Valentine's Day with Jandro. It's so simple and pretty. It represents Parkinson's Disease. Something she's been passionate about for a long time. It's why she went into Neuroscience. 


Lorelei has been practicing driving. It's comical to see such a tiny girl behind the wheel of a car. She drove to school this week with John. He said she did great. 


This month also marked big news for Jonas. He got good news and bad news. He did not get into the University of Chicago as he had hoped. But he did get into UT's Liberal Arts Scholar/Honors program. Looks like we have another Longhorn on our hands! Getting into their Honors program is a huge accomplishment. In my eyes, these elite schools like the University of Chicago, don't know who they are turning down. Jonas plans to major in Anthropology and possibly Rhetoric too. He hopes to go to Law School and wants to be a lawyer, but may just see where Anthropology takes him. He plans to study abroad with the Liberal Arts Scholars program. He's got some amazing choices with UT. He actually already has a semester's worth of classes finished at UT thanks to the UT On Ramps program through his high school. Between those classes and all his AP classes, he will most likely be done in three years. 

He's been reluctant to take the official acceptance picture. Check out his smirk as he gives me a hard time. 




We are very proud to have another Longhorn. Congratulations Jonas! Getting into UT is a huge accomplishment, especially in their Honors program. Next step...signing up for the dorms!

Not that we are counting down, but it's just 6 school days till Spring Break! We are super excited for the week off. We don't have any major plans, but I'm sure we will make a trip to Austin. 

I hope you all enjoyed your extra day this year! 

Happy Leap Day! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Less is more...

less stress less work less talking less people pleasing less saying yes less social media less noise less chaos less guilt And most importantly... less explaining myself And unfortunately, it seems I have made less time for writing and blogging, which makes me feel like I need to explain myself! 😂 This year my word of the year is "l ess" . I've written this blog for 13 years now. Social media was just getting started. I started the blog, not to overly share my life, but as a way to document it like a baby book or photo album would. Now everyone shares their life story (and then some) on social media. I've told myself I would be doing "less" of that this year. I love sharing stories about my kids, my family, and my adventures in life, but I want to do more here, and less on social media.  But as I was focusing on the less in life, I stepped away from here for a bit longer than planned. It is my reflective space, where I can gather my thoughts an

Motherhood...

    Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my o

T'was the night before 50...

  Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year.  2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month. We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early.  Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good! I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.   Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her.  Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard.  Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even