Skip to main content

Parting is such sweet sorrow,

 


 ...that I shall say good night till it be morrow. 

So true although a bit cheesy, (thanks William Shakespeare), but saying "so long" to summer doesn't have to be full of sorrow when we know summer will always return. And if your summer is full of fond memories and moments, it's easier to say goodbye. The Boyen Bunch's summer was everything I hoped for, especially after such a difficult start. Knowing I am content makes it easier to move on to the next challenging part of the year, back-to-school. 

A Florida vacation was one of the best and most challenging parts of our summer. Challenging you may ask? Well, when the four Boyen children haven't lived together in three years and are now forced to hang out in 900 square feet and travel 14 hours in my Suburban, that can be a challenge! John stayed home to work and watch the dogs. Nana was the mastermind behind this trip. We were headed to a friend's condo in Perdido Key, Florida. She had been before and loved it. I won't bore you with a cliche day-by-day recount, but there were many magical moments. 

We arrived super later after driving 14 hours mostly through rain and storms. I drove the whole way and was exhausted!

The Docks on Old River is an amazing little place. They have rentals available! It was a great location, quiet, and public beach access was within walking distance!
We had an amazing balcony overlooking the "river." Dolphins swam right to the docks. 

Of course, we hit the beach many, many times. 








We headed out on several adventures to explore the area of Pensacola. 

The National Naval Aviation Museum was a hit for some, but not so much for others. 

Independent bookstores are a must-visit!


Ice cream is always Lorelei's first choice. 


The Pensacola boardwalk was a neat adventure. We had a lot of fun in the surf shops that were right off this beach. 

A beautiful day for a dolphin cruise. 



Couldn't be in the Flora-Bama area without going to Flora-Bama, the Bar/restaurant. 

Catching a sunset was all Nana wanted!

Of course, we squeezed in a puzzle.

Our last day was hot, but the best. Jonas wanted to visit a trail in the wetland area. Steamy hot!

Then we headed to the Johnson National Shore and Beach, at Bailey's request. It was beach perfection!

Proof they all still know how to play nice together. 



It's funny how when you look back, you kind of forget the challenging part and only remember the greatness of the trip. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost immediately upon return from Florida, the back-to-school craziness begins. I had meetings, training, retreat day, and classroom set-up. 



Throw in moving Savannah AGAIN in Austin. She found a great little house in Hyde Park. Same roomies, Emily and her boyfriend Jandro. They were tired of fighting with high-rise apartment living, especially with their pups. 

August heat is not nice to move in! But she had some great helpers.  





That heat and hard work will really zap you. Or is he just asleep on the job? 


She barely got herself moved in and then she was off to work on the apartment complex helping with "turn" again! Hard work, but fabulous money. She helps get the old apartments looking brand new again for the new students. 


We also squeezed in Jonas' driver's license test, diving tryouts, haircuts, doctor appointments, back-to-school shopping, and prep day!





This week was busy! It was a teacher work week. Lorelei babysat all week for our favorite families of littles. She's a wonderful babysitter if anyone is looking! But this meant early mornings for the both of us. 



Savannah started her last undergraduate semester at UT. She graduates in December but will walk the stage in May. She has done amazing things at UT. She will be seeking her PHD in the fall of 2024. Can't wait to call her Dr. Boyen!


I'm heading to Austin alone in an hour to have some Mommy and me time with her. Okay, I'm really going to deliver some patio furniture and hit the new bookstore near her house, but it's also some very needed one-on-one time with my big girl! We are both excited.

So...so long summer. I'm actually looking forward to back-to-school and fall, which means parting is not so sorrowful. Until next year...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...