Skip to main content

Motherhood...

 

 

Mother's Day, 2023~Reflections from a Mommy blogger

And sometimes it seems like the manual is missing important chapters and sections I need! I have learned a lot and done my best over these years to be there for my children in every way possible. My four children are so different and unique that mothering them has never left a dull moment. They have each presented joys and challenges to me. I can with 100% confidence say the greatest accomplishment of my life has been raising four amazing children to teens and young adulthood. They have made me stronger and wiser in so many ways. Lorelei helped me earn a Mommy MD with all of her unique medical issues and showed me what grace and gratitude look likes like in tough situations. Jonas has schooled me in subjects, academics, and philosophy well beyond my interest. Savannah has shown me what true joy and drive can accomplish in life in just a short time. Bailey has shared a love and gift of music with me,  pushing me to improve my own talent. They each fill a special place in my heart. I am who I am today because of them. Having a wonderful role model of my own in my mom certainly helped a lot too. Even though we have raised our children in incredibly different time periods, some parts of mothering never change. 

Spring with the Boyen Bunch is going well. We celebrated, studied, played, explored, and rested. 


We celebrated Easter. 






We like to find new places to study and do homework. We really loved the UTSA library. 



Jonas and I frequently take walks at OP Schnabel Park on Sundays after our workout. We have some really enlightening conversations. 




He knows how to push me beyond my limits. I love his faith in me to climb higher and work harder. 

Spring is testing season in Texas. We all either took or gave a test. We celebrated with some of our favorite sushi. 



We visited Savannah in Austin. 
We went to the two-story HEB. 






We had two birthdays this month. Lorelei turned Sweet 16! We haven't had a party or done anything major yet. We did have a great dinner at Texas Roadhouse. 

Her last night being feisty 15!


Early morning gifts since she still had diving practice at 7:00 a.m.!


Starbies on the way. 


Dinner at Texas Roadhouse. 

She was mortified but a good sport. 



Nana was back in the hospital again for her tummy troubles and we didn't want to leave her out, so we all headed over after dinner. 



These kids can have fun anywhere!


She's looking pretty good for being in the hospital. 


John's birthday was May 6th. We grilled some steak and hung out at home. His favorite place to be. 


Savannah has been home frequently since her semester is over. She got a 4.0 this semester!! We are so proud of her. She's got a more flexible schedule but will be in Austin all summer working at the lab. 

Lorelei loves having her around. 


Lorelei had a few appointments this Spring. She had an MRI of her pelvic area. We discovered in addition to a single pelvic kidney and spinal issues including scoliosis, Lorelei was born without a uterus. She has handled this information almost better than I have. She does have her ovaries and they are healthy and fully functioning so this is good news.




We also learned the results of her sleep study. Lorelei has narcolepsy!! We cannot believe how well she has functioned with this. We do have new medicines to try that will hopefully improve the quality of her days. She has struggled for so long with sleep issues. Knowing this information is a game-changer!

She had her Athletic Awards ceremony last week for Diving. 



Although the coach thinks she's a "Driver". 


We had a simple Mother's Day today. I got a few simple gifts and had brunch at Nana's house. We brought her flowers for her to plant in her garden. 


Einstein Bagels is one of our favorites!

Shenanigans in Nana's room. 


Bailey is always encouraging me to keep my piano skills up. 


John and Savannah made ribs and roasted potatoes for dinner. 


Of course, regardless of it being Mother's Day I still managed to squeeze in my usual routine of chores, laundry, the gym, and a HEB trip. A mom's duties never end. And I'm okay with that. 

Happy Mother's Day to the wonderful moms in my life, Nana, my sister, and all my friends. We have the best job in the world! Treasure it always. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...