Skip to main content

T'was the night before 50...

 

Yikes! I can't believe I turn the big 5-0 tomorrow. I'm going into my 50s brighter, stronger, and feistier than ever. I am ready to take on whatever life throws at me and excited for the upcoming adventures of this year. 

2023 is already off to a strong start. There hasn't been too much going on other than school, diving, and a few too many hospital visits this month.

We had a workday for our first day back after Winter break. The girls brought me lunch and stole me away from work,  just a wee bit early. 


Jandro moved up to Austin with Savannah this month. So far, so good!


I love when "Scientist Savannah" sends me pictures from the lab! Her Spring semester is off and running.  


Lorelei had two major dive meets this month, including Districts. I love how she gives it her all still, no matter how difficult it may be for her. 



Proud parents! After John saw this picture, he promptly trimmed his beard. 


Her district teammates are all so supportive of each other, even though they dive for different schools. 


There were two hospital visits this month. Both my mom and my sister ended up having to stay in the hospital for a bit. I am happy to say both are home and doing well. We picked up my mom yesterday after she was back in for her tummy troubles. 


Who knew you could still have fun in a hospital...teenage girls can have fun anywhere!


Nana was so happy to be home and see Savannah!


Jonas and I are still going strong at the gym and with our fitness routine. We love to spend some time at the park when the weather is nice too. Somehow this charmer always talks me into doing just a little bit more. 




Lorelei and I had dinner with Bailey. We stopped by with some Panda Express. I have always loved how well these two get along. 


We started celebrating my birthday with just some little things. Last night we got Wingstop and hung out at home. There were lots of giggles. We made s'mores for dessert. It's exactly my kind of night. 







Savannah gave me her present today. She's leaving tonight, but she just couldn't wait. She found me the cutest backpack and filled it with all kinds of goodies like Bath and Body Works, a sweatshirt, a candle, and lotions.



We grabbed some lunch from P. Terry's Burger Stand. The burgers were okay, but the company was the best! We took the burgers over to Bailey's again. The best birthday present I could ask for was time with ALL four kids. 





I got the idea instead of doing a BIG birthday party or activity, to make a list of  50 ways to celebrate turning 50! We jotted down a list last night while we had our wings. As of right now I only have 28 things we could come up with, but I figured I can add to the list as I go. I also need to type it up or make something more creative with it other than penciling it into a notebook. 



So...

Goodbye to my 40s. John said I'm turning 50 with a lot to show for it and I should feel good. I have successfully raised four wonderful kids, I have a great job I love, plenty of friends, and of course my family. The best part, is I don't feel a day over 30! I am super excited and proud to turn 50 tomorrow! 

Happy birthday to me! 50 and fabulous!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...