Skip to main content

Fall Leaves...Part Two

 

Hello December...goodbye fall. Yeah, it's December 10th. Fall leaves me a liar! I just read the end of my last post. Making an empty promise to write about the rest of our fall later that week. I don't know what to say about that. It's not procrastination or lack of motivation. My best ideas for writing come to me at the most inopportune time, like 5:30 a.m. while I'm getting ready for the day but I don't have the time to sit down and write. I have to get Lorelei to the pool, or myself to school for tutoring. The day flies by with all the usual routines...pick up from school, dinner, light chores, homework, and school work for me. Setting aside time for writing is something I am going to do better in 2023! But...don't hold me to that. 

Motherhood failure on my part...I failed to mention we celebrated Bailey's 23rd birthday at the end of October. October 24 to be exact. Just a little get-together...sushi for dinner, some shopping, and lots of silliness from his siblings. John and Savannah couldn't go because of school and work, but we made the most of it.   

Lorelei made him a cake!





Jonas celebrated his birthday too, on November 2nd. He turned 17 this year. His birthday was on a school day, so he opted for a steak dinner at home. 



He wanted some simple gifts, a radio that's also a Bluetooth player and a dart board! 




I had some grown-up fun that weekend when I headed out for a girls' 
football weekend! My principal and friend Lori graduated from A&M and you all know I am a Gator girl through and through. Pre-Covid we had talked about going to a game together and this year I actually made it happen! We had a great time. We stayed outside of College Station due to all the rooms being booked and outrageously priced that weekend. It turned out okay though! We stayed in a little town called Somerville and found the best breakfast place. I loved being in College Station and on a college campus. We took a ton of pictures!

Our America's Best Hotel! I felt like we were in the movie, My Cousin Vinny. I heard a train whistle about a dozen times on the first night there!


All smiles and on our way!



Lori had Terri one of our front office staff make us the cutest t-shirts! "Friends or Rivals, It's Complicated!" We got tons of compliments on them.







We were tired by the end of the day and maybe didn't quite have the stamina we did back in our college days but we did have a great time. By the way, did I mention the Gators won?  GO GATORS!



We headed to UT Austin just two weeks later to celebrate Savannah at her Ring Ceremony! It's a big thing here in Texas (maybe at other schools now too?!?). I remember just going to the student union to pick mine up and that was that. There was a small ceremony and celebration to mark this milestone for students. You have to have at least 75 credits to receive one. Savannah has worked so hard and we couldn't be prouder of her! We drove up to Austin on November 18. John and Bailey had to work so they couldn't join us. 











We celebrated with dinner out. It was quite an evening which included getting stuck in a parking garage and parallel parking the Suburban! 




Thanksgiving break followed. It was restful and packed with family time. 

Dentist appointment for Savannah.


We shopped till we dropped at IKEA. 




Lorelei had diving and got to practice with the ropes. 


Thanksgiving day was spent cooking at home and heading to my Mom's and Dad's.




Nana is slowly on the mend. 











Savannah brought her puppy home over the break too. Rio and Dianne LOVE each other!




We loved having Savannah home for the week and were sad to see her and Rio go. But she was ready to head back to Austin. She's loving college life now and being on her own. 



Last weekend we worked hard to prep for my first book club gathering! I'm so excited to be co-hosting the Wernli Book Club. We had a very small turnout for our first meeting, but that's okay. I'm excited for it to grow.




Today I finally finished putting up Christmas decorations.  Time to switch gears and finally let go of fall and get into the Christmas spirit. 

Lorelei swore the tree was shorter this year. It's just a 6ft tree. I promised it was her that was growing and not the tree shrinking! 






I keep it pretty simple around here and that's just the way we like it. Two smaller trees have been our thing for a few years now, and I love them. 

Finland, our Elf on the Shelf is of course retired, but you are never too old to have him at least hang around. 



Now it's time to start actually buying a few presents! Yikes! This is the last week of school before our Winter break. Savannah will be home by Thursday. Looking forward to a peaceful and relaxing holiday season.

Hello December...happy holidays friends!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

Ziplining!

Helotes Hill Country Zipline ...did you even know this place existed?  I know I have driven past the sign on Bandera Road, but honestly never paid much attention.  Because really, how awesome of a place can it be just two miles from my house?  I realize my house is on a hill and I know there are several large hills in our area, but I didn't realize what was literally in my own back yard. A sweet boy from Savannah's 8th grade Science class has been persistently pestering her to go ziplining with him.  She tried to say no a dozen times, in a dozen different ways.  She finally agreed last minute when she asked if she could bring someone.  After a few tries of different friends, she settled on her daddy!  He's an adventure junky, and honestly in the last 10 years, hasn't had a whole lot of adventure.  Lorelei and I went along to take pictures and watch.  It looked exhilarating and breathtaking, but with my fear of heights, I said a polite, ...