Skip to main content

When October Goes: Fall Part One!

 

*Author's note: This blog post was started on October 30 and I'm just now finishing. Life happens you know!

I'm not usually sad to see it go, unlike Barry Manilow who hates to see October go. You all know that classic song. A little-known fact about me, I grew up listening to a lot of Barry Manilow, thanks to my mom. I've seen him in concert twice and own his complete box set on CD! 

October is a very full month. School is going strong, workloads increase, energy begins to dwindle and even though it's too early in the school year for "burn-out", everyone is just exhausted. We packed in many activities and some fun of course too. 

Lorelei's dive season is going well. She's gained a lot of her skills back since her surgery last year and is learning some new dives as well. 


In October meets frequently start in the 50s and 60s and warm up as the day goes on. Lorelei is always freezing, especially since the heater is broken on the pool. (Update: Pool heater is fixed! Good thing since our temperatures are even lower now.) I wonder who thought having the dive season in the fall was a good idea?



Part of the reason we are so tired is the early morning dive practices. Lorelei has to be at the pool before 7:00 three days a week. 


Savannah's fall semester is going great. No surprise there. She got inducted into a college National Honor Society, Nu Rho Psi. She is doing outstanding work at UT. We are so incredibly proud of her. 


Lorelei and her friends have been going to football games and having a great time. Aren't they cute! This is the O'Connor Pink Out game. 


Fall means frequent trips for coffee after school. Pumpkin spice anyone? 



We spent a day shopping with Nana to find a homecoming outfit for Jonas. We didn't have much luck but we enjoyed the day. 


Between my dad's closet, Amazon, and Kohl's Jonas looked pretty snazzy for Homecoming. 

 
Andrew and Jonas have been best buddies since 6th grade. Looking good boys!



Most of our month has been spending time with Nana. It was a big month for her. She had surgery, which she was very unsure of, (and still is) but she needed to improve the quality of her life. She's struggled with digestive issues for years. This surgery is supposed to help improve many of her tummy troubles. She's been quite the trooper. Good thing she is stubborn!



Nervous, but still smiling. We were there to make sure she didn't escape! She looks pretty in purple!


We visited a lot after the surgery. She was in the hospital a bit longer than planned. 






She loved having her babies there to visit. She's home finally and started the slow recovery process. She's got this!

Halloween wasn't as much fun as when the kids were little, especially when it falls on a Monday. 
Savannah was home for the weekend but had to head back so no Halloween photos of her this year. 
Bailey stopped by for a quick check-in and was off again. 





November is practically over now and I'm starting my Thanksgiving break early. We are headed to Austin today for Savannah's UT Ring Ceremony. My second visit to a college campus this month. Can't wait to write about Fall Part two and share all the amazing things I have done already in November, especially my visit to College Station to see my Gators in action! 

Part two coming later this week! 

Happy Fall Y'all. 







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...