Skip to main content

Summer part two...College life!


Summer has continued in much the same fashion as it started. July has been pretty relaxed with things like pool time, gym visits, movies, friends, and too much binge-watching of Netflix! Not a whole lot different from the first part of summer. 

We did head to UT Austin, not once, but twice to help Savannah move. I don't know about you, but some of my favorite years in my memory and life were my college years. What's not to love...learning, friends, independence, and finding yourself! I didn't realize I would get to enjoy those years vicarious through my own children. I mean it's a bit mind-blowing, because it seems like I was in Gainesville living it up at the University of Florida just yesterday. Although we had just helped Savannah move back to Austin at the beginning of July, we headed back again to help her change apartments. She was downsizing from a five-bedroom apartment to a two-bedroom with her favorite roomie, Emily. 

Day one went well. Tons of cleaning and the actual moving of their things from the apartment on the 6th floor to their new apartment on the 5th floor. 




Nana and Victoria, Emily's mom helped for a few hours that day too. 



Lorelei deep cleaned her bathroom and help set it up. 


I worked on her closet! I had fun organizing and color coding her clothes. Man, does she have a lot of them! 



We took a break and had some dinner and ice cream. I do love Austin!


Day two was full of more cleaning, organizing, and setting up. Emily and I went to HEB while Savannah went to the lab for her mentoring job. Jandro helped out a lot too!








Lorelei was exhausted!!


But Savannah really appreciated her help.
 

Emily made dinner...their first meal in the new apartment. No kitchen table yet, but this worked just fine. 


We had a lot of laughs and some tears. I can't wait to go back again before school starts to see their progress once they get the rest of their furniture! 


This week I "worked" three days, two days of Leadership Institute, and one day of training. I actually enjoyed getting into "back-to-school" mode. 

The real summer adventure starts tomorrow! We are heading out on a road trip to Colorado! Unfortunately, Bailey and Savannah can't join us. I'm heading out alone tomorrow with Jonas and Lorelei to Estes Park. John will be flying into Denver one way on Tuesday and then driving back with us after a few days in Denver. This is the first time I have done this kind of thing alone, without another driver. We'll be stopping in Lubbock tomorrow afternoon to break up the trip and stay overnight. We will walk the campus and grab dinner. Sunday morning we will head to the mountains!

Can't wait to share all about it when we return. Wish us luck and safe travels!

Stay tuned...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...