Skip to main content

Mayhem ends...summer vibes begin!



The only part of that I don't agree with is the wine...no drinking for me. But otherwise...this meme nailed it! The month of May leaves teachers feeling turned upside down. I have no idea what to think yet of summer. I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of "summer vibes" even if that's simply by the power of persuasion. 

 

I love almost everything about summer vacation, but it just takes me a little bit of recovery time from the month I call "Mayhem."

We always start each May the same way...Lorelei's birthday! Hard to believe she's 15! Savannah came home just for her birthday. 




Being a Tuesday we opted for a family dinner out. It was great to have everyone there. 


She got lots of sibling love. 




Teacher appreciation week is always the same week. I received tons of goodies from students, parents and even a special present from my homeroom class from last year. 


My homeroom from last year had a special student deliver this beautiful gift one morning before school started. Made me cry of course. 



John turned 52. He was thrilled with something as simple as a new blanket for his favorite chair. 



To wrap up the already busy week, we had a Mother's Day brunch made mostly by me, at my mom's. It was sweet and simple. 






May was filled with soooo many school events. 

STAAR...(State testing in Texas)


Sea World field trip...




Fine arts night...

Many retirement festivities for Sandy, my teammate. 





Another field trip to the middle school...



Party day for 5th grade!


Lunch with Nana and Savannah amidst all the craziness. 


And of course, the big Promotion Ceremony that I stress out about the entire month of May!!



Of course, when it all comes to an end, the anxiety goes away, but a whole new level of exhaustion kicks in. 

That was just what I did for school. Let's not forget all the shenanigans at home with my own bunch. 

Lorelei had a belated sleepover with her friends for her birthday. Where do teen girls want to go these days? Target of course!




Lorelei had her six-month check-up from her surgery and was released to return to ALL activities including diving! Hooray!

And roller skating! 

Gym visits are going strong. Jonas and I are regulars, but sometimes we get a few others to join us. 



HEB trips now almost always include a Flaming Bird bowl. If you haven't tried it yet, it's affordable and a tasty favorite!

This view happens A LOT! Me tired, driving a kid somewhere.  


They don't call me Ubermom for nothing! 


But filling up my Ubermom mobile is killing me these days! Yikes!


Finally...June is beginning to bring signs of summer. 

T.V. time...

Lunches out...


My favorite summer breakfast...tomato toast!


Diving returns!!


Reading room time...


Dentist appointments...

 
Lazy days...


Morning visits for breakfast!


The return of our two favorite activities.

Pool time...



And Sonic trips!

I think I'm finally ready to say:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...