Skip to main content

Extraordinary days of December


Today's it...the last day of 2021. We had so many milestones we hit this year. Both Bailey and Savannah moved out, Jonas got a job and turned 16, Lorelei started high school and had surgery, John and I celebrated 25 years of marriage. There were big moments and small ones, extraordinary and ordinary. We spent more time outdoors, more time reading, more time with friends, more time with family, and more time relaxing. I'd say we did a better job living life to its fullest. I'm looking forward to continuing on this same path. I have a Perpetual Flip Calendar from Esther and Jerry Hicks, that I have been using for over 10 years now. Today's page is perfect and sums up exactly how I want to live life.  


December is always a favorite and festive month. Such a wonderful way to wrap up a year right? It's as if someone made the perfect master plan of the year. The house is so warm and cozy with holiday decorations. 





I'm never in a hurry to put away the holiday decorations. I happily wait till after the 12 days of Christmas. Heck, I may even wait till MLK day.

We had many ordinary school days, doctor's appointments, outings, and work. 

Early mornings at work.


Savannah loves being back at Bucks, even for just December. 



The girls came to school on the last day before break. The kids loved it!



Food truck park date for Jonas and Sophia. 


Dinner date at Pei Wei with my sister and the girls after finally starting Christmas shopping. 



Sleepy at the sleep specialists. 


Coffee date after her appointment. 


Time for me, journaling...I love keeping track of my books in a Reading journal. 


Off to see Christmas lights.



Christmas Eve...last-minute wrapping and prep with the girls. 


That was exhausting! 

Like always, we had Christmas Eve at my parent's and Christmas Day at our house. 



Santa didn't let us down this year at all!









Christmas morning has a whole chill vibe now with teens. I love it. We had Christmas morning upstairs in the playroom. It was really nice. 



Mittens appreciates the tree being upstairs. 


We immediately played the new family edition of Cards Against Humanity. 


Lorelei still needs recovery time/naps after any kind of activity, even just opening gifts. 


Round two with family. 





Our anniversary was a big one this year...25 years!


We were so young!


But we are still looking pretty good, 25 years later.


And look at this beautiful family...my greatest accomplishment by far. I adore my Boyen Bunch!


We celebrated as a family with a trip to Gruene and the Gristmill for dinner. 







Tonight we will stay home for New Year's Eve...probably playing games, starting a new puzzle, watching a movie, and homemade pizza. 

There's one thing I know for sure...



Happy New Year...wishing you a fabulous next chapter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...