Skip to main content

Spooky, scary October

October should be outstanding but it's downright scary to me! It's been a challenging month as a teacher and a mom to keep up with all the activities, work obligations (like report cards and parent-teacher conferences) and still be a good mom/wife to my family. I'm constantly trying to find the balance. I've added a few things to my busy life to help with that...first is therapy and the second is rest without guilt.  

I wasn't sure about therapy for me, but I realized my plate is so full, that if I didn't take time to acknowledge my own mental health and stress, that a disaster was sure to be headed my way. I wasn't sure it was for me. I'm really only going once to twice a month, but after my last session, I had such a sense of joy and relief. It felt great to have someone listen and acknowledge all my hard work and feelings. Apparently, I'm really great at taking care of everyone else, but I sometimes forget about my own feelings. Sure, I do lots of self-care things, like journaling, reading, nightly bubble baths, and taking time for myself, but what I'm bad about is showing my true feelings. I tend to stuff them down and put on a happy face for everyone, even though I may not be feeling that way. Sometimes I do it so much, that I don't even know HOW I'm feeling. By slowly acknowledging my feelings I am beginning to be able to communicate my own needs and wants more openly. Who knew how much stress that alone could relieve. 

I'm still working on the rest with no guilt...I am trying to give myself Saturdays. If all I do is rest and hang out at home, it's perfectly fine. Taking the time to recoup my energy will help to make me more productive in the long run. Knowing it's not the end of the world if the house isn't cleaned or the errands aren't run has really helped too. I'm the only one who seems to get bent out of shape about those things anyway! I'm also remembering rest can happen in different ways, including hanging out with my kids. 

Savannah has come home a few times this month. On Saturday we ran early morning errands together. Of course, a Dunkin and Target stop made the morning more enjoyable. 




A lot of this month has been taken up with Lorelei and diving. I really love watching her in her element. She's gaining confidence and a wonderful group of new friends. She perpetually smells of chlorine and we love it!


Two nights a week she dives till 8:00...she promptly comes home to shower, eat, and goes almost immediately to sleep. She's a trooper!



She won second place in her first meet!



I helped swim parents with cups to wish our divers well on their first away meet. 


She said she had a great time on the bus ride there! 


She placed 10th out of 26 divers. This was the first time she competed again other districts. 


Bailey's birthday weekend was a lot of fun. Savannah came home again, but mostly to celebrate her one-year anniversary with Jandro. We love this guy almost as much as she does!


Saturday night we took him to shop at The Rim. He and Lorelei get along so well for being the oldest and youngest child. Eight years apart, but they totally get each other. 
 


Bailey said a big no to this choice by Lorelei. 


But he found some great things and gave a quick fashion show after.
 

We went to the Anchor Bar for his birthday dinner. His girlfriend Yukari joined us. 
Look at all these cute couples!





We had a nice time and Bailey was truly happy and seemed to really enjoy his night. 



Happy 22nd birthday to the guy who made me a mom! We love you, Bailey!


Bailey is also moving again, this time into a house with his roommate Nathan. He's super excited about it and even painted his own new bedroom. We went to IKEA Friday night to get a few things. It was the first time I think I went out with just my guys! Lorelei was too tired to join us. 



Saturday we helped put some furniture together and get his room set up. 




He told me he really feels really homey already. He starts a new job tomorrow for NISD being  Youth Leader in their afterschool program called Learning Tree. Lots of new beginnings already in his 22nd year!

Tonight is Halloween...a little different than most years. Savannah didn't come home this weekend because she threw her own Halloween party. Jandro and her dressed up as Tony Montana and Elvira.


We are heading to my parent's in an hour or so. Lorelei is going to Piglet and Jonas still hasn't thrown together a costume yet. Bailey and John both have to work, but may join us later. I'm looking forward to a meal I didn't have to cook and time with the family.

Happy Halloween friends!

Can't believe tomorrow is November already...







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...