Skip to main content

30 days of June...Happy Summer Vibes!

The first month of summer seems longer than just 30 days. It feels like more days have past since the last days of school. Summer vacation is full of all the emotions. At the beginning of the month I'm so excited and ready for rest. By the end I'm regretful I haven't done more and feeling loads of guilt. I have so much trouble just relaxing and letting go. This June however, hasn't really allowed for a ton of downtime. The calendar was FULL this month! 


Notice only a few days are blank...we've had something to do nearly everyday of June. 

Before I can get into our details of summer, I have to give a nod to the last days of school. It was a glorious end to a hard year, that I really enjoyed. 

I may have stressed more than needed to pull off the first Promotion Ceremony for Wernli Elementary, but it turned out beautifully. I couldn't have been more pleased. Parents were happy, teachers were grateful, our school's namesake was sweet and gracious, and my admins were full of grace and such love for the teachers and students. It was a wonderful end to a unique school year. 

I had lots of help from lots of people to decorate and pull off such an event. 










This group of kiddos had to stay or chose to stay on their own after the ceremony. I never packed up a room so quickly! These kids were amazing help. 



June has been filled with the "dog days of summer"... literally! We've spent a lot of time training and failing at potty training! 😂 







Dianne the dog is definitely a great personality match for the Boyen Bunch. She's sweet and quiet, until she gets wound up, just like my kids! 

Lorelei started diving again and loves it more than ever. She has decided she will dive in high school. She's doing so well, the coaches have said she will be moving to Team for the district as well after Summer Diving League.




We've also had plenty of pool time at our favorite neighborhood pool. 




We've had lots of days where we have the whole pool to ourselves. 



Jonas started working at Bahama Buck's with Savannah this summer. 


Off to work they go...


His first paycheck!

June holds lots of celebrations for us as well. With several family birthdays and Father's Day we have had lots of get-togethers. 

We celebrated Brieley's 13th birthday at her house and at our pool. 



We celebrated Father's day with a great meal at home, but we went out to Jim's for dessert, which was a nice treat. 


Savannah turned 19 this year on her birthday.



Sweet girl...






And finally we wrap up the celebrations with my sister's birthday. 



***

This month has also had some challenges. At the end of May we had some new concerns about Lorelei's congenital scoliosis. With her last small growth spurt, her curve changed dramatically. As many of you know, Lorelei has struggled with a variety of medical issues since in utero. We have met each challenge as it arises. After many visits and tests with the geneticists, we never received a diagnosis or syndrome. The pediatrician has always said there's no manual or book for her, we just take things as they come. We found out this month that her scoliosis is severe, with a curve of nearly 60 degrees, which requires a major surgery. This will be her 5th surgery in her short 14 years. Now she and I both realize, this is nothing compared to what some children go through and she realizes how blessed she is, however she has had a really hard time accepting this new development. She had her first MRI yesterday and cried silent tears during the whole thing. She is most upset that the surgery will cause her to sit out of diving for 6 months. Her surgery is scheduled for November right before Thanksgiving and the holiday breaks, so she won't miss as much school. She will have to be out of school for a full 6 weeks. 

Lorelei has handled it all with more grace than you can imagine. Yes, she's cried, worried and has gotten mad at her body for not doing what it's supposed to do. But she's faced it all with calm confidence that is wise beyond her years. Her courage in the face of such a dramatic life changing event, has been awe inspiring.



With her permission, we are going to do our best to document this journey. We would love all your support, thoughts and prayers during her preparations, surgery and recovery. We will keep you updated. 

Here's wishing you all a Happy July and...





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...