Skip to main content

Mayhem 2021

Another May has come and gone, and I'd love to say it wasn't as exhausting as other "Mayhems", but that's not the case. I'm TIRED! We didn't pack in quite as much as we have in years passed, but some May events will always be around, like Boyen birthdays.

I don't have profound words or meaningful advice. It was a challenging month, although filled with many wonderful memories. This year STAAR was pushed to May, since it will not be used as a promotion standard in 5th grade. That somehow was enough to change up the whole vibe of May at school. Normally I'm just planning the end of the year party and Promotion ceremony. Scrambling with my own Boyen Bunch to wrap the semester and grades has been its own challenge and we are all more than ready for summer. 

As usual, we start May with Lorelei's 14th birthday! We celebrated on her actual day, which fell on a Monday, which did not make her as happy as expected. 

She got up with me before school for her birthday cinnamon rolls. 


We had everyone over for dinner...Greek food,  her favorite!


We ended the night with Froyo!


John's birthday was the same week. We had a night at the pool for his big day!




Who needs cake when you can have S'mores!


Since Lorelei's birthday was on Monday, we had a great Mommy and me day on the Saturday after her birthday...brunch, shopping, and nails! 






Mother's day was the very next day. They spoiled me with lots of treats and a trip to the pool again. 





Our weather has been a bit off since that big snowstorm in February. We've had lots of May showers, instead of April, but the flowers came just the same. Wildflowers, cactus flowers, and lots of green everywhere.





And we are ending the month with a new family member...Dianne the Dog! Bailey found a litter of pups needing homes at a house he delivered pizza to. We weren't 100% on getting one, but when he told us this cutie was named Dianne, we couldn't pass her up! Who else could possibly find a dog named after their mom/Nana!


Delilah wasn't sure at first, but they have become fast friends. 




We had a fun family get-together tonight to celebrate Memorial Day. It was a great way to wrap up May!







This Boyen Bunch is more than ready for summer! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...