Skip to main content

Happy, sad, mad, glad and everything in between...

The range of emotions I have gone through over the last month has completely exhausted me. Normally the month of May, which I fondly call "Mayhem", is the month that makes my head spin. But April really did a number on me. I'm physically and emotionally tired. I've had a strong desire to write and share so many times this month, but not the time or the energy to do it. I was just saying I need to write, to John, because I've been neglecting it and he sweetly said, "But you've been doing so many other wonderful things!"  Sometimes he just knows exactly what to say. 

After Spring Break my new school Wernli had an awe-inspiring dedication ceremony. I was lucky enough to have a big part behind the scene. I was not only in the skit, as I mentioned in the last blog post, but I also helped write the script and worked with the student MCs, which are two phenomenal 5th graders. It was hard work, but really a wonderous evening. I had every intention of actually writing a post on that night alone, but just never sat down to do it. 

My sweet team got me flowers...just like it was an opening night! 


All dressed up! 


My new bestie buddy at school, our fabulous librarian Elida Madrigal. We are two peas in a pod and work great together!

My fantastic 5th graders!


The rest of March was spent helping Bailey move out. What a bittersweet time. As a parent, it is what we work for...creating strong, independent children who will eventually fly the nest. (Sorry for the cliché!)





His room at home is just a sitting room now. 


Moving out means you get to meet for lunch out! I love time with my "grown-up" kids. 


I also had not one, but two-day dates with John this month, thanks to the Covid vaccine! We received our shots together and then had lunch each day and just enjoyed our time together running errands. 


UT Health has a beautiful campus where we got our Covid vaccines. It was a smooth and almost painless process. John and I were lucky to not have any side effects. 


Easter arrived sooner than expected, I have to say. I was barely ready for it. Things have changed quite a bit with a houseful of teenagers, but they still had Easter baskets that morning. 


John made a beautiful braided bread for Easter dinner. 


My beloved Boyen Bunch!



There was still an Easter egg hunt too!






I had a lot of unexpected outings in April, which was a ton of fun. John and I joined Bailey at one of his Autocross races. I was even brave enough to go on one of his heats!



That same evening a dear "old" friend was in town, April! We taught together in Houston way back when. We met up for a late bite to eat. The next Friday I met up with one of my student teachers and friend, Miss G. when she visited from Hawaii, but we forgot to take a picture.


But then an unexpected tragedy struck on a random "Taco Tuesday", when our Taco Terrier, Lulu was attacked and eaten by a coyote (oh the irony). Yes, you read that right. Sometimes I still say it out loud just to see if I can actually believe the words. We were devastated and are just now able to think and talk about her without crying. She was a streetwise rescue dog, that has been wreaking havoc in our home for the last seven years. She was feisty and naughty, but oh so spoiled. The coyotes had been stalking her for about two nights. She had been barking in the yard incessantly at night. She knew they were there. Lulu was in the yard just a few feet from the porch when the coyote snatched her quickly and silently. I had been cleaning the grill on the patio and she went out with me. I stepped back into the kitchen for less than a minute, when she was suddenly missing. You can only imagine the guilt I felt.  She will be missed by us all. Our big dog Delilah took it much harder than I ever imagined and still looks for her friend Lulu frequently. 

This is the last photo we took of her on April 11. She was always by my side or Lorelei. She died on April 13. 


We found a few remains in the yard and buried her here. 




Sad Delilah...laying on Lulu's bed. 


On a happy note, we found a new way to spend quality time as a family...we joined the YMCA gym! We've really enjoyed working out together. 




Today I wrapped up the month with one of my favorite activities...reading! I finished an incredible book called, The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. 


It's feet up Friday! Can I just say I love my job! Where else can you read for pleasure and be a role model for your students?!?!


I'm hoping for a restful weekend. It's raining tonight and supposed to rain tomorrow too. Next week is a big week...Lorelei's 14 birthday, John's birthday, and Mother's day all in the same week. 

It will be just the beginning of the mayhem of May!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...