Skip to main content

January Beauty...

I'm not the beauty of January, but this year, my word of the year is BEAUTY. Last year, my word was flow and it was certainly fitting. We had no choice but to go with the flow last year, never quite knowing exactly how things might go. 


For 2021, I decided to focus on the beauty of life and all it has to offer. 


It's really not hard to find beauty in things, but sometimes we can forget to look for it in all places. I made a list in my journal of all the places I hope to find it. 

Our NYE wasn't much different than years past. We like to stay home to ring in the new year. It was nice to have all the kids around at midnight. 


We had chicken and shrimp fajitas with homemade tortillas.


Fiesta Texas had some extra special fireworks that we can see from our front porch!





~~~

We haven't done a ton this month, but it feels like we've been cooking up a storm! I try to take photos because, of course, there's plenty of beauty in food. There's been some good eating this month!








We've also found our way back to the parks for our walks. I really enjoyed how many outdoor experiences we had in 2020 (the beauty of Covid forcing us outside more!).

We hit the trails the last two weekends in a row. Friedrick Park and Bamberger. Both offer a lot of secluded paths and the beauty of nature!










I finished two books this month...and I recommend both. 




There were a few fiascos...seems like all our appliances wanted to spring leaks this month. I'm so lucky John is such a smart handy man. He was able to fix the major leak from our hot water tank and we only went without hot water for a few hours. Then he figured out why our less than two year old washer was leaking! What a guy!

Savannah was home a spotted the water on the ceiling and called us quickly!



January ends the same way every year...with my birthday. 48 years young! I feel better than ever. I'm walking more, eating well, sleeping great, and I can now take time for me better than ever. I read, meditate, journal, listen to podcasts and audio books, and find plenty of time to spend with my bunch. 

I got to celebrate both at school on Friday and at home yesterday. My school peeps really know me...lots of Gator gear! 


Cute masks from my teammates!


The kids all made me heart birthday messages.


My Morning Meeting surprise!



I've been coined the "Mama Duck" this month. I started walking laps at recess and now have a bunch of students walking with me. I guessed I looked like a Mama duck. 




At home I was surprised by John, Lorelei and Jonas going above and beyond, to create the coffee station I have always wanted. 


Jonas and Lorelei split the cost of this brand new Keurig for me!


The mug rack was from my mom.


Savannah spoiled me as usual, with a variety of special gifts just for me. She does dress me well! She bought me a cute tote filled with clothes and new earrings. And she helped John pick out the perfect new Crocs for me. 
 

Bailey got me my favorite pens...now SCENTED!! 


Alejandro brought me beautiful yellow lilies. 


My sister got me new Gator gear too!




We decided on dinner at home...Wingstop for take out! It was yummy!




Blowing out birthday candles, COVID style. 




I feel content and filled with beauty as I wrap up this month. I'm looking forward to the beauty of February!

Find the beauty my friends...it's out there for all of us. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...