Skip to main content

Simply summer~August arrives!

I've created a blog post by this name at least three times and each "Simply Summer" post is relatively the same...we are a predictable bunch. Even during a pandemic like Covid, we are pretty much up to the same things we do every summer, finding ways to fill the very long days.

July usually means yearly appointments, pool time, family, fun, food and a little bit of school prep always sneaks it's way into the summer days. 

The Fourth of July was not that different from others. We had family pool time, grilled at home and watched fireworks from the front porch. Lucky for us, we have a perfect view of Fiesta Texas, who was still doing fireworks.









The whole family invested nine days in the completion of this beauty. Delilah the dog even had her part in it (she ate a piece!). This puzzle was ordered by John in May...and finally arrived in July! He honestly put the most work into it. It was super easy to get sucked into and lose an hour or two of  time. But so satisfying!




(Can you find the piece Delilah ate?)

Savannah and I have had some quality one on one time. She took me to breakfast at Snooze Eatery, which I highly recommend. 



She has continue to work all summer at Bahama Bucks. Savannah is such a super star there, they named a shaver after her. She recently had a review and received excellent marks and a great raise! She loves her job.



Bailey has been working hard at Domino's all summer too. He saved up enough of his own money to buy his little dream car.



This cutie is a 1992 Suzuki Cappuccino, imported from Japan and a right sided drive, which is really strange. It's so tiny and zippy. He even got his very own insurance policy for it. He's quite pleased. 

We have continued to enjoy regular outdoor activities, like the pool and park. I am a big fan of cloud and sky pictures! They are never quite as beautiful as what I see with my own eyes. 



We found this cute tiny park off Dezavala before we headed to the pediatrician for their well visits. Jonas measure 6 foot and a 1/4 inch at just 14! Lorelei on the other hand is 4 foot 8 and 3/4. He's in the 97th percentile, she's in the 2nd. It's always been this way, it's just a lot more noticeable now. 



I've played around with the patio a lot this summer, adding and rearranging frequently.  I'm loving this layout best. The evenings are usually cool enough to enjoy time out there. I also no longer rush the dogs with their business in the early mornings, now that I have somewhere so lovely to sit and enjoy the sounds of morning.



When it's not too steamy hot, we are still enjoying night time walks at the Helotes Fitness Park. It's definitely one of our favorite activities together. Sometimes all four kids go, but I can always count on Jonas and Lorelei for sure. The sky is the best between 8:00 and 9:00, just before the park closes.




Mid-July little bits of school always seem to creep in, especially this year, and not just because of Covid. I started moving into Wernli. It's not quite finished yet, and things like furniture are on the way, but little by little, it will be home soon. I've had several Zoom meetings about the upcoming year and how we will handle in person and distance learning. I have to say overall, I'm feeling positive. A good attitude about it all can be the difference!

My shiny new room prior to moving in boxes. The furniture arrives on Monday.


Home life has been simple...filled with naps, late nights, lots of movies, reading and of course someone is always in the kitchen cooking. 

This home is always full of life and love.  



Happy August friends...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ziplining!

Helotes Hill Country Zipline ...did you even know this place existed?  I know I have driven past the sign on Bandera Road, but honestly never paid much attention.  Because really, how awesome of a place can it be just two miles from my house?  I realize my house is on a hill and I know there are several large hills in our area, but I didn't realize what was literally in my own back yard. A sweet boy from Savannah's 8th grade Science class has been persistently pestering her to go ziplining with him.  She tried to say no a dozen times, in a dozen different ways.  She finally agreed last minute when she asked if she could bring someone.  After a few tries of different friends, she settled on her daddy!  He's an adventure junky, and honestly in the last 10 years, hasn't had a whole lot of adventure.  Lorelei and I went along to take pictures and watch.  It looked exhilarating and breathtaking, but with my fear of heights, I said a polite, ...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...

A fall full of fun...

Christmas is springing up all over. Even at school, our Principal has already put up our foyer tree and decorated the front office. Last year, the countdown sign went up with 40 days until Christmas; this year's says 48!  I've barely recovered from October! I think I'm going to need a minute before I can embrace the next holiday season. I'm still enjoying my fall mantle for now.  We did cram October full of fall fun. From new college adventures to old traditions at home.  The first weekend in October, we mixed things up a bit by heading to a movie on the lawn at The Rock at La Cantera. If you haven't been and live in SA, you must give it a try. We had perfect weather that evening.  Lorelei bravely went and got her first tattoo the next day. She picked a bundle of sweet pea flowers in honor of me. I call her sweet pea, especially through text when I tell her goodnight.  Jonas had his first official bike race. He and his team got some practice in on a race just no...