Skip to main content

Simply summer~August arrives!

I've created a blog post by this name at least three times and each "Simply Summer" post is relatively the same...we are a predictable bunch. Even during a pandemic like Covid, we are pretty much up to the same things we do every summer, finding ways to fill the very long days.

July usually means yearly appointments, pool time, family, fun, food and a little bit of school prep always sneaks it's way into the summer days. 

The Fourth of July was not that different from others. We had family pool time, grilled at home and watched fireworks from the front porch. Lucky for us, we have a perfect view of Fiesta Texas, who was still doing fireworks.









The whole family invested nine days in the completion of this beauty. Delilah the dog even had her part in it (she ate a piece!). This puzzle was ordered by John in May...and finally arrived in July! He honestly put the most work into it. It was super easy to get sucked into and lose an hour or two of  time. But so satisfying!




(Can you find the piece Delilah ate?)

Savannah and I have had some quality one on one time. She took me to breakfast at Snooze Eatery, which I highly recommend. 



She has continue to work all summer at Bahama Bucks. Savannah is such a super star there, they named a shaver after her. She recently had a review and received excellent marks and a great raise! She loves her job.



Bailey has been working hard at Domino's all summer too. He saved up enough of his own money to buy his little dream car.



This cutie is a 1992 Suzuki Cappuccino, imported from Japan and a right sided drive, which is really strange. It's so tiny and zippy. He even got his very own insurance policy for it. He's quite pleased. 

We have continued to enjoy regular outdoor activities, like the pool and park. I am a big fan of cloud and sky pictures! They are never quite as beautiful as what I see with my own eyes. 



We found this cute tiny park off Dezavala before we headed to the pediatrician for their well visits. Jonas measure 6 foot and a 1/4 inch at just 14! Lorelei on the other hand is 4 foot 8 and 3/4. He's in the 97th percentile, she's in the 2nd. It's always been this way, it's just a lot more noticeable now. 



I've played around with the patio a lot this summer, adding and rearranging frequently.  I'm loving this layout best. The evenings are usually cool enough to enjoy time out there. I also no longer rush the dogs with their business in the early mornings, now that I have somewhere so lovely to sit and enjoy the sounds of morning.



When it's not too steamy hot, we are still enjoying night time walks at the Helotes Fitness Park. It's definitely one of our favorite activities together. Sometimes all four kids go, but I can always count on Jonas and Lorelei for sure. The sky is the best between 8:00 and 9:00, just before the park closes.




Mid-July little bits of school always seem to creep in, especially this year, and not just because of Covid. I started moving into Wernli. It's not quite finished yet, and things like furniture are on the way, but little by little, it will be home soon. I've had several Zoom meetings about the upcoming year and how we will handle in person and distance learning. I have to say overall, I'm feeling positive. A good attitude about it all can be the difference!

My shiny new room prior to moving in boxes. The furniture arrives on Monday.


Home life has been simple...filled with naps, late nights, lots of movies, reading and of course someone is always in the kitchen cooking. 

This home is always full of life and love.  



Happy August friends...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...