Skip to main content

Hello Weird Summer

Even if it is unlike any summer we've ever known before, it's still summer. The words "unprecedented", "uncertain" and "new normal" have been so over used. I think the word to best describe how I feel about it all is just...weird. It's a really weird time. By definition weird means "something supernatural or uncanny". Seems like a juvenile word to explain life right now, yet it's fitting. 

Every event in the month of June just seemed a bit weird.

Packing up my room at Carson and moving out was surreal. Thinking I didn't really get to finish off the school year or my career at Carson in person, left me feeling bittersweet. Although I am thrilled about my opportunity to open a new school, I can't help but wonder if my garage full of classroom items will actually move into my new school.







Savannah started her summer with her new favorite beauty treatment, highlights! It's her birthday and graduation treat. I'm not sure which part was weirder for her, wearing a mask or sitting under this ancient hairdryer!


Even with everything going on in the world, we have tried to keep the simple pleasures of summer going like too much screen time and naps...simultaneously!


Our pool opened under many Covid-19 precautions, which now include a pool attendant or volunteer resident making sure social distancing and sanitizing occur. But as usual, our pool is truly an amazing place and the HOA and President have gone all out to make sure it stays that way. 


We brought a few of our favorite people to our first official visit.



Lorelei and I now volunteer every Wednesday at the pool. It's nice to help, and a bonus that it's usually pretty empty and an easy job!


With places still closed and the number of Covid-19 cases rising, we spend a lot of time home. When boredom strikes, the cards come out! Lorelei loves playing a game called "trashcan". I highly recommend it.



June 15, 2020 marked a very special day...Savannah's high school graduation. Talk about WEIRD! But honestly, the school did a wonderful job keeping everyone safe and still celebrating each graduate. It was truly unforgettable. 


Only 4 guests were allowed. The boys volunteered to stay home. 







Her future is bright...she is destined for great things. We are so proud of you Savannah!


We kept the after party simple. We still had a great time celebrating our girl.


A few presents at home, followed by a special dinner at Nana's and Papa's house.







Popcorn and a few rounds of "Bullsh!t", another favorite card game wrapped up the evening's fun.


Our patio project received an addition...a new grill for John. Just in time for Father's day. He's in love!



Our park time continues, but we have a new favorite, the Helotes Fitness Park. We love how simple and fun it is. These two our my motivation to stay active and outdoors!



Less than a week after graduation we celebrated Savannah's 18th birthday and Father's day. It was another great family night with food and fun.





Now comes the quiet month of July. I always feel like it's when my real summer break begins. No more birthdays, or celebrations. The 4th of July will most likely be a quiet one, since all local fireworks and festivities have been cancelled. But the sunsets have been glorious enough lately, that we most likely won't miss the fireworks too much.


July will be full of slow and steady days...too much binge watching Netflix, reading, cards, sleeping past noon, evenings on the patio, and lots, and lots of family time. 

Times are weird...but I couldn't be more grateful.


Comments

  1. I agree “weird” suits it but It looks like you guys are still living your best lives!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...