Skip to main content

Christmas Wrap up...

Christmas sure has changed as the kids have grown up...the element of surprise and magic has slipped quietly away. But now, "All is calm...all is still bright!" The kids help buy and pick out their gifts, they help cook, clean and prep. Our Christmas Eve was super fun and relaxed. We had our usual, wonderful Christmas Eve spread at Nana's and Papa's.  We ate, talked, opened our stockings, the kids played cards and hide and seek, sardine style! When I say kids, that includes Savannah and her boyfriend, Alec! I'm glad he doesn't think we are crazy. 

Warning: TONS of photos to follow!


 


 Always behind the camera!


In her new lounge wear from Alec!



 

Santa arrived this year looking a bit different than usual. (Nana trying to throw them off!)






Poor Titi (Kim) was feeling under the weather this year, trying to pass a kidney stone!



We were able to finally get a picture of the whole family! Thanks Alec!




My iPhone camera starting getting yellow and blue streaks out of nowhere! (see above). Jeff took our family picture with his phone, which looks bit different.  Took a few tries to get a decent family photo! And yes...Jonas is very tall. He looks like a friendly giant next to the rest of us!


We headed home, stopping past our favorite neighborhood set up. We love the Charlie Brown theme...some traditions never change, not matter the age.


 Time to wrap!



Busy finishing up her special present for her Daddy!


It came out so cute! He loved it. We have a little family joke where we call Lorelei "Squidward". She thought it was the perfect present for him.


Silent night finally begins...at about 2:00 a.m.



Even the dogs were finally ready.



Christmas morning I'm now the first one up. With everything done, I had some coffee, finished a book and patiently waited for the family to wake. We had a deal, I could wake them all up around 10:00, if no one was up yet. Lorelei was the first awake at 10:20...so she woke everyone else up.


Ready to get at it!


 

Chef Boyen! Lorelei loved some of her new cooking gear, including a chef's hat and apron from John.





Guess he needed a bit more sleep!


Everyone heads to our house in the afternoon for "Round Two" of Christmas presents. We eat the leftovers from Christmas Eve and keep it all low key.


We've learned from the past few years, no one has the energy to cook a big Christmas dinner. This year since I know the kids love sushi (at home or out), I figured it be the perfect DIY Christmas dinner. John got Lorelei a sushi set, so it was a perfect excuse to put her to work!





Now it's my favorite time of year...the quiet between Christmas and New Year. I got a new calendar and a new cookbook, among many other wonderful gifts, and am ready to take on the new year!


Bring on 2020!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...