Skip to main content

Back to School 2019

Jonas just said today, he's pretty please with how the school year is going so far. John said just this morning, "I remember worrying about you all going back to school a month ago and now it's already your forth week." Unlike last year, this year's back to school has been a breeze, downright delightful. I'm actually a little ashamed I haven't gotten around to blogging sooner than today, especially with how smooth everything is going.

I'll admit, I was surprisingly exhausted the first few weeks, enough so I was actually considering taking some sort of energy vitamin. I think I just needed some adjustment time and a couple of great sleeps (like my 10 hours Friday night!). The kids adjusted very well to it all: sleep, schedules, classes, homework and balancing their jobs too, for the older two. I'm always so impressed to see how well Savannah and Bailey manage to take difficult classes, keep up with homework, work their part time jobs AND still have a social life! Oh to be young...

It's been exactly a month since I posted last and we wrapped up the summer without much excitement. We had some last minute things to prep for back to school.

Lorelei built her own desk from IKEA.



Jonas got braces!


We had one last swim with John.


We had a goodbye summer "sno-cone" from Bahama Bucks... might be a new traditions, two years in a row we went on the last Friday night of the summer. Mostly to see our hard working girl!




The girls were a big help putting together my classroom. I couldn't do it without them! I'm still loving my rainbow chalkboard theme. Fourth year of it...added some new touches, but relatively similar to last year. Of course, I've already rearranged things twice since I took these pictures!





Got the girls a Pei Wei treat for all their help!


The first day of school was much easier this year...these two are such middle school pros, they even took the bus.  


Savannah drove herself for her very last, first day of high school. Senior year!! Class of 2020!!


Bailey is taking a full load of engineering classes at NW Vista this fall. He's still undecided on where to finish up his degree, but he knows he loves engineering!


Of course...I never take any first day pictures of myself. Maybe next year.

Lorelei and I had a fun girls day out on Labor Day weekend with Sienna and Jenn Adam. Food, shopping and some fun at the pool! Made it still seem like summer for sure. 





This weekend, I couldn't help myself. I felt ready to say goodbye to summer 2019 once and for all. Today I put out my fall decorations! It's a bit early for me, but I'm loving the vibes and ready for pumpkin spice and all things fall. 




I think the weather may even begin to cooperate soon.

Happy Early Fall Friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...