Skip to main content

Summer afternoons...

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language."
                                              -Henry James

Am I the only one who thinks this man is brilliant?

Summer afternoons with my Boyen Bunch are the reasons we work so hard all year. Why not summer mornings? Because anyone who knows the Boyen Bunch, knows they love to sleep. Which in turn means our summer days do not start until the afternoon. I love that because it gives me plenty of morning quiet time, for coffee, reading, listening to podcast and enjoying my sunny reading.

The afternoons have been filled in a variety of ways, most with extraordinary, ordinary activities:
  • Pool time, of course!


  • Bailey's new project car...it works, but has plenty of little things he can tinker with on it. 


  • Giant slime making. 


  • One too many Walmart trips! 


  • Doctor's appointments...at fancy, nice offices. 


  • Home projects, like sprucing up the front porch and planting some succulents. 


  • Re-organizing the playroom into more of a t.v. and game room.





  • On Father's day, Chef Lorelei whipped up a yummy breakfast for John. She can make a perfect omelette already. 




  • Highlights and haircuts!


    • Brieley's 11th birthday at our pool, one of her favorite ways to celebrate. 


    • Savannah turned 17!  She had a small get together with friends this year. They were a really great group of teenagers. I couldn't be prouder of my girl for all she has accomplished in her short 17 years.
           





    • Taking advantage of a family dinner at Grimaldi's with her birthday coupon too!


    • The final celebration of June was my sister's 50th birthday. We had a smashing good time at the Smashin Crab!  





    • There's been tons of rain this month, which means quiet afternoons at home.


    • Art, checkers and chilling with the dogs. 




    • The kids had their annual well visits this month. Jonas is not quite 6 foot yet. At 13 he is just   5'11 1/4! Savannah was 5'5 1/2 and little Lorelei is just that...still little at 4'6". We anticipate her growth spurt will happen this year. Jonas grew about 6 inches in just a year and has the stretch marks across his back to prove it!


    My favorite part of the summer so far I think is all the reading we have done, but I think I'll save that for a post all it's own.

    Happy July all! We are looking forward to more family time, a college visit to University of Texas, Senior pictures for Savannah and a little back to school prep for me. 

    Enjoy the 4th! 

    And here's to more extraordinary, ordinary summer afternoons.

    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Nothing can bring you peace...

      ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

    Dinner...

    Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

    Ziplining!

    Helotes Hill Country Zipline ...did you even know this place existed?  I know I have driven past the sign on Bandera Road, but honestly never paid much attention.  Because really, how awesome of a place can it be just two miles from my house?  I realize my house is on a hill and I know there are several large hills in our area, but I didn't realize what was literally in my own back yard. A sweet boy from Savannah's 8th grade Science class has been persistently pestering her to go ziplining with him.  She tried to say no a dozen times, in a dozen different ways.  She finally agreed last minute when she asked if she could bring someone.  After a few tries of different friends, she settled on her daddy!  He's an adventure junky, and honestly in the last 10 years, hasn't had a whole lot of adventure.  Lorelei and I went along to take pictures and watch.  It looked exhilarating and breathtaking, but with my fear of heights, I said a polite, ...