Skip to main content

Sunny days...

The sun IS shining today in my life and outside. It's truly "Sun"day. The windows are open, the breeze is blowing and my new favorite playlist on Spotify, Sunny Day is playing in the background. Seriously one of the best collections of songs EVER! Kudos to whoever created. If your Sunday isn't "all that" yet...go put it on and create your own Sunny Day.

I love April. I'm not sure if I can call it my favorite month, but it is one of the loveliest here in Texas. Unpredictable weather...rain, cold, hot, warm, breezy...all the wonders of weather in one month. But outside, the wildflowers and green grass fills you up, especially since we all know those hot summer months to come, just might wipe out everything cool and green. There's a beauty to the newness of April that fills my soul.

 This month I did something different but a little bit life changing...I participated in a 21 Meditation practice offered by Oprah and Deepak Chopra. Each day had a message and thought to meditate on. It was such a nice ritual everyday to sit and reflect and meditate. 21 days does create a habit. With my beautiful new reading room, I can now take time to journal, meditate and just restore my soul. I am feeling renewed.






This beautiful kitty, Smokey, disappeared on us this month. He was fat, sweet and ornery. He got out on a Saturday night, and never returned home. We posted several places, hoping to find him. Unfortunately, with all the predators in our area, I'm afraid one got him. 


We all felt his loss, including his sweet brother Teddy. It's interesting how much Teddy's personality changed after the loss of his brother. Teddy was more aloof and Smokey was the cuddler and people person. Teddy has now become very affectionate and loving. And a little less eager to go outside than he was. It's as if he knows. I still have a tiny flicker of hope that maybe Smokey will show up or that he's living the high life in someone else's house. He is missed here.


Every month is filled with plenty of school events.  A favorite April event for Savannah is her Orchestra Banquet. She loves dressing up and hanging with her people!



Jonas had his big project of the year...his MSIP project for GT. His project was focusing on factory farming and why it's harmful to the environment. I love this smartie pants.


Once again...April showers chased away our chance to race solar cars. Rescheduled for May 11th.

We had our annual field trip to Seaworld with 5th grade. What a fun, fast and furious day!


Easter was much later than usual. Although holidays are changing as my kids all turn into young adults, we still enjoy all the traditions from when they were little. 










It was a glorious day.

This week included two of my favorite school events...our WWII presentation from the Nimitz Museum and Fiesta!



Fiesta means an extra day off to enjoy too! Especially on my back porch swing enjoying our wildflowers.



We also took the opportunity to start shopping for Lorelei's 12th birthday with our extra day off. My baby is turning 12. She promises me though, she will always be my baby. My sweet girl is growing up. She took advantage of her Kendra Scott 50% off birthday, like any soon to be teen girl would! Watching her build her perfect piece of jewelry made my heart ache just a bit.


And you may not believe this, but yesterday, I had so much fun at the...wait for it...LAUNDROMAT! Yes...I do love doing laundry and have said that before, somewhere. There's something soothing and satisfying about being able to take dirty, crumpled clothes, wash, dry and fold them into tiny packages of clean perfection. Weird right? Last week, after a month of making a really LOUD noise during the spin cycle, our washer of nearly 14 years, finally died. We found a new washer, same brand, GE front loader, with Steam for a great price at Lowe's. The only problem...it couldn't be delivered until Wednesday this week. The Boyen's can't go that long without some clean clothes, so I searched for a solution. You can imagine I was in heaven, when I found this dreamy laundromat. I dragged Lorelei and Jonas along for the experience. When Savannah saw the picture she was confused...she thought we were shopping for washers at IKEA! Ha! I told her no, that was a very fancy laundromat. It's called The Outdoor Clothesline/Lavanderia Laundromat on Babcock. The place was clean, cute and the staff was delightful too. I highly recommend it. I may go back just for fun! 


May is here this week and I'm excited for Lorelei's and John's birthdays, Mother's day, and the many extraordinary adventures to come for the Boyen Bunch!

Happy Spring friends!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...