Skip to main content

Wreck 'em Bailey!

Bittersweet is the word people keep using with me right now. "This must be bittersweet."
Sending your first born child off to college, is for sure bittersweet...something that brings both joy and pain. It's our goal as parents to send our children off into the world as responsible, intelligent, young adults. I just think most of us don't expect it to happen as quickly as it does. How can 18 years fly by that fast? How can this young man be the sweet baby boy, that was just playing with matchbox cars and Thomas the Tank engine trains? Regardless of times fairness to us, it's happened. Yesterday was a long day, ironically enough. We packed up the car and headed to Lubbock at 9:30 a.m.

Dorm gear is ready to go.


We had a family dinner for him Friday night. One of his favorite meals, chicken parmesan and spaghetti.

As we drove into Lubbock, around 3:45, it was raining and the temperature was only 70! The rain began to clear, just as we pulled into the dorms to unload. It was perfect timing.



The dorm was covered in spirit posters!


First thing to do was check the room over, before unpacking.





Bailey and I did most the work. The room was a bit to small for the whole Boyen Bunch. The extra hands were great for unloading two cars. They did it in just two trips!


We went to the lobby for a dinner break.  His first college meal...a pizza of course!


After dinner, we headed to a very crowded Walmart, for a few forgotten items. Overall, we did great on getting the necessary things for a dorm room.  After, we drove through campus, and stopped to see his Petroleum Engineering building. Lots of hours will be spent here over the next three to four years.




We headed back to the dorm for a few last touches. His room isn't 100% complete, but for the most part, we got it feeling cozy. I had Pinterest visions for his room, but he had other ideas. He wanted a zen/earthy, calm feeling to the room. He picked things that remind him of home too, like his Himalayan salt lamp (we have one in the family room) and his wax warmer with a zen scent (also all over the house). That top shelf is all his Harry Potter DVDS! I love that he thought to bring those! That desktop computer is his new "Baby". He spent the summer and his graduation money on building it himself. He joked that if he can't make it in petroleum engineering, maybe he'll do computer engineering! The bulletin board next to the shelf, will fill up as soon as he can find some push pins. That was an item we forgot, and the Walmart was completely sold out. Probably because almost every dorm room on the Tech campus, has a bulletin board wall!



The wall is a work in progress...he's got a vintage Tech rug from his Uncle Jeff, that he's going to hang, and some cool IKEA torch lights.



He was happier than I have seen him ever. He is totally ready for this!!


This sweet sister of his, probably cried harder than I did, when we left him. In fact, she had already been crying right before I took this picture. They have really enjoyed these past two years in high school together.


One last photo of the Boyen Bunch altogether.


For once, I made sure to capture a photo of me too...Bailey was happy to oblige. 


John was with us too, of course, but somehow missed getting in the picture. Right after this last photo, he walked us to the parking lot. There were so many hugs. Each kid kept going back for one more. Bailey must have dished out 20 hugs in that parking lot! We drove away, waving goodbye and crying our eyes out. There were actually sobs coming from the kids. Talk about bittersweet...to realize that although your kids fight and fuss, they care so much about each other.

He's called twice already today and texted more times than I can remember! He went to the grocery store and worked on organizing his food in his tiny small. Right now, he's out to dinner with a friend.
He got this whole week to get settles, get his books and explore campus and Lubbock. We will miss him so much, but are excited for him on his new journey.

Wreck 'Em Bailey!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...