Skip to main content

Simply summer...

Summer fun for the Boyen Bunch includes:

Lots of time with these four. 



Food, food and more food.




Camp Neuro for the future neurologist, Dr. Savannah Boyen!


Endless pool days.


Diving time and even a 1st place competition win for Lorelei.






Lots of kitten time...introducing the latest Boyen's, Smokey the Siamese and Teddy the Tabby!






Probably the last well visit times four, to Dr. Bourland, the pediatrician's office!


Some rainy days.

And plenty of just hanging out at home, in pool floats! 🤣


Last night we went to the movies! I've had some Fandango gift cards for nearly 5 years ($75), that I finally remembered and put to use last night. We don't go as a group often, although the kids do go individually with friends. I think the last movie I saw in the theater was Frozen!! 
Ant Man and the Wasp was a perfect movie for all of us, although I laughed way more than the kids!



I've spent a lot of time at the gym this summer too, (no photos sorry). I've learn to really appreciate what the gym does for me, not only physically, but mentally. I've gone with both a friend and John. It's a time for myself that I truly treasure now. I don't listen to music or watch anything. I try to stay in the moment and my thoughts while working out. It's worth the time and commitment.

I've been in a summer slump for the last week. It's the time of summer where I realize that maybe I haven't accomplished the projects and goals I set out to complete. I begin to feel the time slipping away, yet it's hard to find the motivation, because the lazy days of summer are so enjoyable. I also think to myself, there's still a month to go, so why not just relax a bit longer. Sometimes, acknowledging and accepting the feeling, is the best way to help it pass. Let go and let it flow.

We have some travel plans this summer, but not for the whole bunch. Savannah is heading to Florida next week with my mom to participate in the Parkinson's Convention. She's heading to my old stomping ground, Fort Lauderdale! Bailey and I head out to Lubbock next weekend too, for his orientation at Texas Tech.  We are all hoping to squeeze in at least a day trip to the beach, and a day at Fiesta Texas, thanks to some free passes from their reading program. 
Maybe if motivated, I may even get to some of those home projects that have been on my summer to-do list...maybe! Because really, in the big picture, summer should simply be about fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...