Skip to main content

Sweet 16 on summer solstice...

For the last year, since acquiring her driver's permit, all Savannah has talked about was getting a car when she turned 16. John said he would try, but let's get real, although every parent may want to meet their child's heart's desire, it isn't always possible or in their best interest. Her argument has been that Bailey got a car. My argument, he was 17 not 16, and my dad gave it to him, not me and John. Argument null and void! Lorelei had the idea we could still get her a "car". It is certainly a "car" but maybe just not what Savannah had in mind. She woke to the traditionally decorated table and family room, ready to open her "gift"!





John had the added idea to wrap a set of keys. As funny and clever as we thought we were, Savannah was NOT amused! After the initial disappointment, she did admit to it being a little funny and she would definitely laugh about it later in life, looking back on her Sweet 16.

Savannah was very indecisive about her 16th birthday. At first, she was sure she wanted a big party. Then she decided, maybe just s few close friends over. Finally, she said, "I just want to hang out with you guys and Luke." So that's what we did. A simple day of Starbucks for her free birthday treat, shopping for her real present...a pair of Chacos (an expensive pair of outdoor water shoes that are all the rage with teenage girls!), sushi for lunch and dinner with Luke. They were going to go out on a real date, but they decided on Pei Wei take out and an indoor picnic. Savannah wanted to take a few pictures to capture the moment.


These two are too cute, silly and goofy too!






Savannah shares her birthday with the Summer Solstice and so far our summer has been pretty low key, since Bailey's graduation.  We've celebrated Father's Day and my niece's birthday, but not much else. It's right about now that the kids finally find their summer groove. Our days are filled with pool time, occasional outings, and lots of hanging out at  home.

I'm happy with how well all four of them are getting along this summer.


Big versus little...an yet, just 18 months apart!


Father's day donuts from Lorelei.


Goofing around...


Brieley turned 10!


Savannah has her first  official camp starting Monday morning. She's in Camp Neuro, it's a medical camp for high school students interested in the medical field. Savannah's main interest has always been Neurology. The camp is through the University Health Science Center. Each day will focus on a different neurological disorder. She'll get to see patients, hear lectures, dissect a sheep's brain and practice sutures on a pigs arm! Plus, she'll get her first set of scrubs! 
Dr. Boyen...you are wanted in surgery! 

Lorelei has had diving Monday through Thursday for the past two months. She's made wonderful progress and has her first competition July 6!

The Boyen boys have been up to a whole lot of nothing! Bailey is enjoying his last relaxing summer, before heading off to Texas Tech. Jonas loves his extra time for video games, art and cooking! He loves whipping something up in the kitchen.

July is just around the corner...looking forward to the 4th and the summer fun still ahead for the Boyen Bunch.

Comments

  1. Sweet 16 indeed!
    Summer holds great joys and adventures. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ziplining!

Helotes Hill Country Zipline ...did you even know this place existed?  I know I have driven past the sign on Bandera Road, but honestly never paid much attention.  Because really, how awesome of a place can it be just two miles from my house?  I realize my house is on a hill and I know there are several large hills in our area, but I didn't realize what was literally in my own back yard. A sweet boy from Savannah's 8th grade Science class has been persistently pestering her to go ziplining with him.  She tried to say no a dozen times, in a dozen different ways.  She finally agreed last minute when she asked if she could bring someone.  After a few tries of different friends, she settled on her daddy!  He's an adventure junky, and honestly in the last 10 years, hasn't had a whole lot of adventure.  Lorelei and I went along to take pictures and watch.  It looked exhilarating and breathtaking, but with my fear of heights, I said a polite, ...

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...