Skip to main content

Mayhem 2018...almost there.

Sometimes, even I have trouble keeping up with my own life. A dear friend Melinda and I were having coffee a few weeks back. I love catching up with her, talking about life and all the things that make it wonderful and hard all at the same time. We were talking about writing and books, something we both love. I told her I still feel inadequate to write a book about something, because I'm not truly an expert at anything. She simply stated, "Jen, you are an expert at juggling!" And she didn't mean flaming torches, although that how it feels some days. If I drop just one thing, it could all go down in flames. But she was right, I have found some crazy way to keep this Boyen Bunch all up in the air.

The month of May is a true juggling act around here. I have jokingly called it "Mayhem" for the last two years. As the kids have gotten older and into high school and middle school, it seems that every possible activity, birthday, concert and event is shoved into one month. Let's not forget the part where I'm a teacher too, and it's already an exhausting time of year for us. I'm not exactly sure how I've become an expert at "juggling", but I think I finally have my topic for my book...more to come on that! (I'd tell you my secrets to this balancing act here, but then you'd have no reason to read my book!) Honestly though, I'm not even sure how I do it sometimes, but I do know it's not always with grace and often it's down right ugly. Our full schedules lead to lots of fun and memory making, but we are definitely looking forward to summer, where we all can slow down and enjoy downtime. Only 13 days to go!

Lorelei had a fun outing with Girl Scouts.



And she had her final Fiesta Parade and party.



Savannah was inducted into the German National Honor Society.



And she had her Orchestra Banquet with Luke.



Lorelei has really progressed in diving. We are now working at an amazing Northside facility that was used to train the US Olympic athletes before Rio! She's now diving 4 days a week for 2 hours a day.



May brings two Boyen birthdays! Lorelei turned 11. We had a pizza bar and Marbleslab ice cream for family time and she had a small Boho styled sleepover party with friends.










John's birthday was the day of her sleepover ended. He is such a good guy to always share his birthday so graciously with Lorelei.


Lorelei had Camp Gladiator at Garcia. It's a day where the 7th and 8th graders help the incoming 6th graders, show them around and guide them on what to expect as middle schoolers.


Teacher appreciation week is something I always look forward to in May.


We were off to the Solar car races after a delay in April. I'm so proud to say we had a Carson team place 4th out 371 teams! The best part, it was Lorelei's team, the Jumping Giraffes!



That same weekend was Mother's day. Savannah following tradition, had the table set for me with a gift.


I took my mom for Starbuck's...no kids! It was a great morning.


More gifts were waiting when I got home.


My creative boys...Bailey composed a piano piece for me and Jonas (who's totally into the Simpson's right now) drew me this amazing picture.


Lorelei saw this porch pillow and knew I just had to have it!


This week has been equally full. Jonas had his GT field trip to Sea World. I helped chaperone.



This weekend has been packed with activities. After the field trip on Friday, I had Bunco with my teacher pals. Saturday, after my usual piano lessons, I chaperoned Jonas' orchestra group to the NISD Gym, to get them ready for their concert last night. I ran with Bailey to get him a stylish new do for prom. Back home to get his tux on and send him off to prom.
Finally John and I had "date" to Jonas' Mark Woods concert series called "Electrify Your Strings".

Before...


After...Prom ready!




Can you find Jonas is the 1,000 students! It was quite a show!


I always have a bit of anxious excitement before each family event, and then breathe a little sigh of relief when we have successfully completed each wonderful moment.

The rest of the month is equally full. Savannah has two more concerts, two doctors appointment next week, Lorelei's 5th grade activities. Thirteen days...till Lorelei's 5th grade promotion. The real kicker...just 4 weeks till Bailey graduates from high school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...