Skip to main content

So long January...

I know it's not just me that thinks January 2018 was the longest month ever. Honestly, it was the roughest start to a year, that I can ever remember. I had so many wonderful plans and ideas for 2018...I was ready to take it ALL on. Until January 7th, when the flu struck! It hit us hard and fast...

Lorelei was the first to fall, with 102 fever when she woke up, with me taking a close second, within a few hours. By Tuesday, Jonas joined the flu club, followed by John on Thursday, and after several days of denial, Savannah admitted it was the flu on Sunday. Lorelei and I missed 5 days of school, something that has never happened to me in my entire teaching career. John swears in all our years together, I've never been that sick. Lorelei and I definitely got it the worse (besides my mom, who we accidentally shared with!). Bailey managed to not get the flu, but we think that's because he was the only one who got the flu last year! He had to have built up some immunity because of it. I was the lucky one who picked up secondary infections, bronchitis and a sinus infection, followed by laryngitis. Although I still have a slight cough, and a croaky voice, I'm finally healthy!

Notice on my 2018 vision board, the "Stay Healthy" in the corner.  I'd been doing so well before the flu hit...working out three days a week, eating well, kicked the soda habit.  Time to start over!


Day 1 of the flu...she was not looking so bad.


Day 2...we could still smile.


It was downhill from there...Day 3-7 were the worst!  Body aches, fevers, and so, so tired!


Since Lorelei and I had taken over the couch, if Jonas wasn't in his room, he was here. Both him and Lorelei had fevers hit 104.7!  Mine never went over 101...and I still felt like dying!


We did have some wonderfully exciting things happen this month. Lorelei received diving classes for Christmas. January 21 was her first class.  She loved it and was a natural! They said she was very "coachable."




This week wrapped up January with my 45th birthday! Jonas asked me how it felt to be half way to my grave! Not too bad, now that I feel better. The family did a great job making me feel special and loved on my big day.



John fried up some chicken tenders and fries for dinner. Lorelei and Savannah made my cake...it looked a bit rough, but tasted yummy. It was simple, but just what I needed to end the month.


The Boyen Bunch is certainly ready for a fabulous February!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...