Skip to main content

The hardest part of Christmas...

...is that it ends. There's so much build up, preparations, anticipation and then suddenly, it's 11:00 a.m. on December 25th, and for the most part, it's all over. It makes we wonder if the better part of this deal isn't the advent days...the special, fun days counting up till Christmas. I was telling Savannah today, that the 12 days of Christmas start on Christmas day and go until January 5th. The holiday season seems to start on November 1 and comes to an abrupt halt on December 26. We decided to keep the Christmas decorations and tree up until the 5th, to savor and celebrate the whole holiday season.

By far my favorite activity with the kids (or even all by myself!) is hot chocolate, movies and the cozy fireplace. We cuddle up with a blanket, and watch Christmas movies, the good and the bad ones! The boys loved providing commentary to the romantic ones. The past few days we've watched a variety of flicks, kid and adult friendly. I just love it.

We spent a lot of December "elfing around", fun shenanigans that help in any way with Christmas. December was also full of many memorable moments, concerts, Bailey's acceptance into Texas Tech and even a snowfall!

Finland our elf , and his sidekick Spritely, had a lot of fun this season.




They really like Lorelei's poetry project for school based on e.e. cummings' poem, "little tree."


Although we found out quickly through e-mail that Bailey was accepted to Texas Tech, the official letter and welcome package came a week or so later. He also received a letter, with a merit scholarship offer for academics! He is thrilled to be a Red Raider!


December means holiday concerts. Jonas tied for 1st chair violins. Stinker never even practices!


Savannah's concert was the very same night. As soon as Jonas finished, we jumped in the car and headed to her's.


We had a couple Christmas parties this year. Lorelei's the only one who still has school parties. Nana was able to join her for the festivities.


John and I cleaned up and headed out for a lovely 5th grade team dinner party. Nothing better than yummy food and friends.


Savannah was my shopping buddy this year. It was wonderful to spend time together, just her and I.  We got all our shopping done in one, very long day! Thank goodness for generous students and gift cards. We were gone so long we had to have two meals out!


Christmas Eve crept up quickly. Nana outdid herself again, with a delicious spread of goodies and special gifts. The kids always say, Christmas Eve at my mom and dad's, is their favorite night of the year.








Christmas morning is so much calmer these days. No one wakes up at the crack of dawn. They are excited, but love their sleep too. It wasn't a huge Christmas. There were gifts, but I have found as the kids get older, there's less under the tree. They need less, they want less, and are just as happy.


Gifts from Santa are always extra special.


Lorelei was thrilled that Santa brought her an American Girl Doll, MaryEllen from the 1950's...her very first one. She played all day long with her.




We had a quiet day. Everyone really enjoyed playing with their new toys or video games. Savannah and I cracked opened some "bubbly" (sparkling apple cider) to accompany our movies! We curled up all afternoon watching movies.


The day after Christmas the girls and I headed out to take care of Christmas returns and exchanges.  Not too many...but enough to make a Starbucks stop necessary!


Yesterday John and I celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary. Lorelei made us sleep in. We could hear the clinking and smell something cooking. Lorelei was hard at work, by herself, making us an anniversary breakfast. She is so sweet and thoughtful.



It's plenty cold outside, and even colder weather is heading our way. We have just a few more days of break and I'm thrilled for the excuse to cuddle up and stay close to home.  

Stay warm friends...enjoy these last few days of 2017.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...