Skip to main content

Done with one...

We did it!  John and I have officially raised one child to adulthood.  Done with one...Okay, you know I'm not serious, right?  We are never really done parenting, ask my mom!  But I still feel a sense of accomplishment.  Bailey is an "adult" according to law. He turned 18 years old this past Tuesday.  Seems a bit surreal.  We all can remember the little bright eyed, blond baby and toddler like it was yesterday.  It seems like the years in between are a total blur.  Somehow, it's like magic, suddenly he's a young man, 5'10, articulate, intelligent, talented, and on his way out the door to college.  He was also accepted into National Honor Society this week, something his dad and I never accomplished (even though I had good grades in high school, I never had THOSE kinds of grades!).  He's got interesting opinions on life, that are usually the total opposite of mine, but I think that's the way it is suppose to be!  We couldn't love him more, or be prouder of the adult he has become.  Of course, I realize there is a lot more parenting left to do, a lot more advice, comfort, and love.  I am excited for his future.

October 24...the big day!


Lorelei made him Reece's cupcakes.


Dinner at his favorite sushi place.


His letter from O'Connor came at the perfect time.



There's been some fall fun for all of us this month.

We visited Bailey on the job at St. Brigid's Fall Festival.  Too bad is was still so hot.



Savannah had her Fall concert.  Sweet Luke brought her roses.


Lorelei and I had some fun at our school fundraiser...the APEX Fun Run.


Jonas had his very first concert...or as Garcia calls it, a "Hauntcert!".


Lorelei had been wanting to visit the Halloween Super Store.  Silly girls.


 Lorelei and I went to the South Texas Corn Maze with Girl Scouts.  Lorelei had a great time.





She loves doing things for other, particularly baking.  She made all of us Rice Krispie treats with a note.


Savannah thought she was still taller than Jonas (who is only 11!), and told her I could prove that she wasn't with one simple picture!  We were shopping at Academy for Bailey's birthday presents.


Finally...fall weather arrived this week.  Cold enough to use the fireplace.


Tonight we are off to my sister's for the annual Halloween Trick or treating hayride.  Halloween is Tuesday and Jonas turns 12 on Thursday!  I'm looking forward to the rest of the fall festivities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...