Skip to main content

A new season...

It's October, fall has begun and each year, at this time, I reflect a bit on where we are as a family. I think it's because Bailey's birthday is in October (he's turning 18!!!!) and that's the day John and I went from a couple, to family. I look back at those times and think how much simpler it was to have babies and little ones, in some ways. When you are in the throws of raising babies and toddlers, you think nothing can be more difficult. The teen years arrive and you wish for the tantrums in the grocery store, over the tears of a broken hearted teen. Instead of deciding on which preschool or Kid's Day out program, we are deciding on which university will offer the best scholarship. And so the saying "Bigger kids, bigger problems." returns again and again to my head.

Each of these seasons in life brings about new joy and new worries. I wonder with amazement that my oldest child becomes an "adult", 18 years old in just over two weeks. He's grown into a young man before my eyes. Savannah is driving with a permit, has a boyfriend and is continuously drowning in her pre-AP and AP classes, constantly worrying about her perfect straight A's. Jonas is growing by leaps and bounds...5'6 already. Talk about changing before my eyes, he was just a little boy and now I look up to him. I am lucky there's always Lorelei...my little girl, still tiny and sweet. But I realize, her time is fast approaching, where she too will be a teen before I know it.

John and I joined an Anytime Fitness in July...definitely a new experience for us. We finally take some time for each other and our health! We really enjoy the time together. I love their inspirational chalkboard messages like this one:



Another college reception for Bailey. Texas Tech impressed him enough to plan a campus visit in November.



The fall season means the return of Soup Sunday!! I love the simplicity of making a hearty, warm soup on Sunday nights. This is loaded potato soup, a family favorite.




Homecoming was early if you ask me...but these two cuties had a wonderful time.


This little one is still my baby, but she sure has been working hard in 5th grade. She was writing a fantasy fiction story here. She's an excellent writer, which as you can guess, makes this momma very proud.



This guy eats, sleeps and goes to school. He's cheesy, funny and smart as ever. I have to beg him for photos these days...



This new season is all about my favorite thing...my FAMILY!


Happy Fall!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...