Skip to main content

September...Back to school

Solar eclipses, convocation, teacher work days, school supplies, Hurricane Harvey, first days, new school, gas shortages, Labor day, another hurricane...Yikes!

It's truly been a whirl wind around here, (no pun intended with the hurricanes)!  As I am sure you have heard it before...there's no tired, like a teacher tired, at the beginning of the new school year. The non-stop work, as both a teacher and a mom with 4 kiddos, that back to school time entails, is exhausting...emotionally and physically. Like with other September posts, I always remark that August goes by in such a blur, September hits you like a brick wall, making you wonder how you got here.

It's been a true month of adjustments around here.  Some of us have had a better start than others. Bailey and Savannah are off to another great start at O'Connor High School.  Bailey's thrilled as a senior to only have half days, thanks to working so hard academically over the years.  He's taking all but one AP courses, so it's almost more like a freshman semester in college for him.  He took the ACT yesterday and takes a 2nd try at the SAT next week (although his first score of a 1240 is not to shabby!).  College offers and interest are constantly coming in, but Alabama remains his first choice. Savannah is taking her very first AP course this year and is loving it so far.  She's a little firecracker with school.  She works hard and loves every minute of it.

Jonas started middle school at Garcia, but is not quite loving it yet.  Actually, it's been a pretty harsh start for him.  Breaks my heart a bit...school has always been his thing.  I just hope he can find a way to love it again.  Because Garcia is our home campus, there aren't any kids he really knows in his classes.  Carson kids go to two other middle schools.  It's starting from scratch for him.  He's happy to have made a few friends in each class already, but he's surprised by the fact that he misses me so much.  This is his first year not on the same campus as me in 7 years!!  He told me he took me for granted!

Lorelei and I are finally settling into 5th grade at Carson.  We have some serious growing pains to start our year!  On the first day of school I had 29 students!  By Thursday we were told, relief was coming, as we were adding another 5th grade class.  I was thrilled to find out a great co-worker and friend was moving up from 1st grade to fill the spot.  Last week was our first week with the 5 of us!

Attempting photos of the eclipse!



Convocation sets an exciting tone for back to school!  Very inspiring!



Teachers really do run on coffee!


First day of school...6th grade!


Mr. Kline is happy to have another Boyen! I think...😉
5th grade...
 First day for my student teacher and me!


 My 10th grader...

I didn't see Bailey till bedtime...but here he is...A senior!


Labor day allowed us to sneak in one last pool day!


A little taste of fall weather last night at the Family Game night in Old Town Helotes!


I'm feeling like things are settling in for us, so we can start to enjoy the month of September.  We've had a nice bit of cooler weather, giving us a taste of what fall will bring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...