Skip to main content

Bama Bound...

About a month ago, I scheduled a campus tour for the University of Alabama for Bailey. At the time, I had no idea who was going to go, where we were going to stay, or how we would even afford the extra expense, so close to the start of back-to-school. What I did know, was that it had to happen. I couldn't let Bailey apply for an out-of-state university, without him seeing it with his own eyes. I stressed for days, maybe even weeks and spent hours on websites like Booking and Priceline, trying to find the perfect deal and place. I looked at the GulfShores, quaint towns like Natchez, even NOLA, trying to make this a real adventure. But everything was beginning to blur and I just couldn't decide. With some help from an angel (Savannah's boyfriend's mom!), she booked us into an amazing Embassy Suites in Tuscaloosa.  The perfect size for our family and price. Now there were some extra glitches to deal with...both Savannah and John got sick.  But what troopers! They took their antibiotics, and Ibuprofen and hit the road with us. We like to leave at night, so 1:00 a.m. on Sunday, August 6th, we started our journey, Bama bound!




A quick morning drive through NOLA.


Bourbon Street...


Getting closer!


Embassy Suites in Tuscaloosa was beautiful!


Tired...but ready to explore the hotel!



First place they want to head is the pool, of course!




Evening snacks are provided...family, food and fun!


Jonas loves to play with his food!


Super comfy beds!


And a great view!



We started Monday exploring near the stadium.  This cemetery had pre-civil war stones!  It was so interesting to read and see.



 
The tour began... and we actually had a break in the rain!  Perfect timing for our walking tour.









I cannot tell you how charming and picture perfect the University of Alabama's campus is...makes me want to go back to college!  We all fell in love with the place! The antebellum architecture made it feel like you stepped back in time.

Lorelei may be saying "Roll Tide" in her future.  Especially after she heard they have a top notch gymnastics team.


Back to the hotel to relax!


On the drive back home, we stopped by our second campus visit, Texas A & M. It was a beautiful, vast and modern looking campus.  Completely different world from UA.





The old Nike saying, "Just Do It", proves that sometimes, you just have to go for it! All the pre-trip stress, anxiety, decisions, discussions and even illness, we overcame and ended up with us just going for it! I will forever have warm memories of this trip. And if Bailey's choice for school next year is University of Alabama...I'll know it's a good one.

This Florida Gator girl will say something I never thought I would..."Roll Tide!"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...