Skip to main content
I have a love hate relationship with October.  I adore the season change, the warmth of fall decorations, the birthdays and Halloween.  The "hate" part is mainly because the moments fly by, the month is overly full of events and work obligations like parent/teacher conferences, before you know it, the month is over.  Now we count down till Thanksgiving break, just 10 work days till a week off to catch up on rest, relaxation and whatever else.  We did have many milestones this month like...

Lorelei and Jonas finally mastered riding a bike!  We had to go somewhere flat to learn how.  They both learned in about 15 minutes.  Maybe there is something to be said about waiting for things.




Speaking of waiting on things...Bailey's 17th birthday was a wonderful day off together.  I took him to finally get his driver's license.



Of course he passed!  John and I helped him celebrate by taking him out to lunch at Olive Garden (his choice).  

Halloween is just as fun as ever, even if the kids are getting older.  Lorelei was Princess Leia and Jonas was Ash Ketchum (of Pokemon fame!).

These two went as charming teenagers!


Round one of trick or treating was a fun Hayride out at my sister's and Jeff's neighborhood.




It was a hot October so unfortunately our pumpkins turned to mush and we couldn't exactly carved them...it was more of a dissection!



Round two of trick or treating was in Nana's and Papa's neighborhood...a tradition!


The whole crew...


Just when Halloween ends, we get to celebrate Jonas' birthday.  Unfortunately, the morning of his birthday started with a power outage!  Luckily it came back on just before Jonas woke up.




This boy is 11 and getting to be a real pill!!
Who me?

And his friends are too!  He had a little get together last night to celebrate.  These guys were LOUD! But they clearly had a good time!


This is what happens when you tell a 5th grader not to spit on the cake!  Clown!



Bailey and Savannah just returned from their first "road trip" to the ranch in Junction, all by themselves!!!!  It was successful!  Bailey drove there and back, battling the rain and terrible traffic, he said.  I'm proud of them for being so independent together.

Tonight we head to the Tobin Center to hear Bailey play in his first YOSA concert of the season. But first...I see a nap in my future.  Those 5th grade boys were LOUD and up late.  #boymom :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...