Skip to main content

Love wins...summer wins.

Love wins...

Before I step into my normal blog routine of catching up on what's going on with the Boyen Bunch, I have to admit I've avoiding writing this post.  I wasn't sure how I could acknowledge what happened in Orlando in a way that shows my love and support?  Jonas was the only child who really watched/listened to the news in the background (while he colored and worked in a dinosaur activity book.)  There was one interview he made me rewind to listen to, (the news was on much of the morning Sunday, while we went about normal home things.)  In the interview, a man who was at the club was recalling what had went on that night.  The details were horrible and frightening, but what Jonas tuned into was one detail, one comment.  I can't quote it exactly, but more or less what the man said was "If we can love our dog's like they are humans and part of our family, why can't we love any individual we want?"  That was such a simple way to put it out there...love is love.  It doesn't matter who or what we love...because love always wins.

Summer wins...

Now...love is something the Boyen Bunch home is always overflowing with...and we have loved the time we have had together as a family.  Summer has certainly started off right.

We've spent time together doing the things we love like...

Card games.




Plenty of pool time.



Doll makeovers.

Before...
After...


Music time.

Adventure time, with a side of music.  Bailey had a YOSA performance at the JW Marriott for an H.E.B. Tournament of Champions event.  It was a beautiful place and we have quite an evening of adventure, music and fun.











Bailey's had his permit for a while, but hasn't done much driving yet, mainly because my car is so huge (a Suburban) and John's car is a stick shift.  My dad finally got a new car and happily handed over the keys to his old Jeep to Bailey!  Now he has a car he can learn to drive on and it's his to keep! Thanks Papa!





The neighborhood had it's annual Summer's Here pool party.





Even though it's summer, this mama teacher makes sure her kiddos stay on top of their game.  We headed to Barnes and Nobles this weekend to get some fun learning/activity workbooks.




Swimming is something ALL of us enjoy, including Bailey.  Savannah snapped a few shots of me in the pool with the kids.  We love our neighborhood pool. (If you haven't figured that out yet!)





Every night before bed Lorelei and I say three things we are grateful for in our lives.  Every night, so far this summer break, I have said I am grateful for summer.  Lorelei giggles and says, "Are you going to say that every night?"  I told her yes.  I'm grateful for the slowing down, that summer break brings...moments to savor the love and grace of my family and kids.

Love wins...summer wins.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...