Skip to main content

May-hem, I will survive...

From a funny student of mine...he could probably sense my stress!


Ha ha...get May-hem?  Yeah, I know, punny...I mean funny!  The last 3 weeks have been the kind of busy, that in your head, you know that if you can just survive the mayhem, it'll all be downhill from here.  One more day left in my mayhem and then the count down to summer begins!

I like to participate in after school clubs, particularly ones I know my own kids can benefit from.  For the past few years I've done Solar Cars.  I sponsored the group when Bailey and Savannah were in it, and even one year when I didn't have any kids in it.  This year, Jonas was part of the group.  For whatever reason, solar cars drove me to sleepless nights this year.  I literally would lose sleep on Monday nights, wondering if we could pull these cars off.  Good news...we did and we actually did it well!

Race day was Saturday, April 30.  After many weeks of rain, overcast skies, and an impressive storm the night before, we finally had sunny, clear skies!






Check that off my list...solar cars success!  I can finally sleep on Monday nights again and my Tuesday afternoons are free!  Hooray!

The next night, Bailey had his final YOSA Gold Series concert.  Wow...these kids.  Truly amazing!




Next on the list for May-hem...Lorelei's birthday!  My sweet girl turned 9.  I wrote a previous post, called My Baby.  She is and always will be my baby.  I just love this girl's feisty-ness!

The morning of her birthday...traditions!  I always decorate their spot at the table and in the last few years we've added the blow up birthday cake with presents.



 I love that she still loves dolls!  (So do I actually!)


On the morning announcements...she was scared to death!


Her classmates singing to her before having ice cream sandwiches.


Her favorite dinner her new favorite doll.


 For her birthday treat all she wanted was her very own pint of ice cream!!


All this same week was also teacher appreciation...we were celebrated and honored as heroes.  Wow, was I spoiled!!



Savannah had her first Solo and Ensemble competition.  She scored a 1+, a score given to very few musicians.  She was so thrilled and I was so proud!



John's birthday was on Friday, as well as a birthday/slumber party to celebrate Lorelei's birthday.  

You are never too old for the birthday table decorating at this house!



Party time...



He was a hit with the girls!!
 The aftermath...




 We barely survived...;)



Recovery time...

Yesterday was Mother's Day and my kids always find a way to make me feel special...



Jonas, Lorelei and I had STAAR testing today and again tomorrow.  Bailey has two AP tests this week for college credit, and Savannah has two STAAR tests of her own, Wednesday and Thursday.

I just looked at the calendar and realize it's only May 9th!!  Who knew you could squeeze that much action into just a few weeks.

Even if May isn't even half over, I know the mayhem is coming to an end.

Good luck friends...enjoy the merry month of May!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...