Skip to main content

Survival of the fittest... Back to school through the eyes of a teacher.

Survival.  It's definitely the mode I've been in for the last two weeks.  Purely survival.  Each day was about being as product and prepared as I could be for the new school year, as a both a teacher and a parent.  Now that the first week of school is over, I can happily say we survived with no causalities!  But if I look back at it now, with well rested eyes...it was actually quite a lot of fun, buried under a lot of stress! Usually, when I go back to work, my photography slacks off a bit.  This time, I made an effort to take lots of pictures and capture a variety of moments throughout the last two weeks.  

My sister Kim, treated to a Girls Night Out concert, featuring Christina Perri and Colbie Caillet.  It was my last summer outing.



Of course we had to also have one last day at the pool on Sunday, before my teacher work week began.





Back at school, working hard on our curriculum mapping..  Mrs. Powell looking so serious!  Nicole looking like this stuff is fun!




Even though I was back to work, it was the kids last week off.  We had to sneak in one more library trip.



New hallway signs...John helped to make them.  He cut and primed the boards.  Amber and Addy did the hard part...making them cute!!  We love them!




Convocation time...


My new 3rd grade team! (Including my student teacher!)



The life of a teacher's child...hanging out at the school way too much!  But Savannah was a fabulous help to not only me, but several other Carson teachers.





All 4 kiddos were at school on Meet the Teacher night.  We took the opportunity to take a picture with their favorite Kinder teacher, Venee Guevara!  Can you believe as many times as we moved around, she had all four Boyen kids?! No other teacher can say that!  :)


Lorelei's teacher is brand new...a first year teacher! (I helped hire her!!)  She so clever, she had a photo booth at Meet the Teacher for parents and kids to take a fun photo!  I loved it!



Friday afternoon we had to squeeze in Savannah's Meet the Teacher Orientation too.  After, we snuck off to get haircuts at our favorite salon, D' Anthony's in Helotes.  Savannah isn't driving, by the way...she did a mirror image of the picture!




We capped off the crazy teacher work week with a Friday night swim, of course!





Bailey had one last Cloud 9 performance too, on Saturday. 




Later that day we headed off to help some friends move.  We left the kids to get their own dinner and finish up some laundry.  Not only did they do all of that and more, they had my yoga stuff out and ready for me when I got home and were waiting in these poses!  Goof balls!




The first day of school arrived and of course included 4 lunch box notes.





Three out of four kids were eager and ready for back to school pictures too.

3rd grade

8th Grade

4th grade
I did snap a picture at the end of the day of Bailey...but he might disown me if I post it!  I promised I wouldn't. 
Lorelei and Miss Thornton!  Cuties!


My class was great this week too.  I think it's going to be a terrific school year!!

Hope your back to school went smoothly too!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...