Skip to main content

Cactus Pear Music Festival

Music was a huge part of my childhood, teen years and early adulthood.  I lived for music.  I was a highly accomplished pianist.  In fact, in case I've not mentioned it before, I went to the University of Florida on a Piano scholarship with every intention of being a concert pianist.  Then reality hit...I wasn't that good.  Plus, I didn't really want to work that hard.  My life headed a different direction, but I still minored in music and continued to play for fun into adulthood.  I even taught piano lessons for a few years, until I had children of my own. 

I'm so grateful that these "children of my own" found music too. 

Bailey was a bit of a late bloomer musically.  He started the viola in 5th grade strings.  He was immediately a natural at viola.  In his opinion, the best in the class.  Middle school proved that statement true.  1st chair viola, all 3 years at Garcia MS and 1st chair as a freshman in Varsity Orchestra at Health Careers.  He joined YOSA (Youth Orchestra of San Antonio) in 8th grade and final found some great competition, real musical geniuses and kids he could really relate to.  He's competed at Regional levels too (1st chair in 7th and 8th, 3rd chair for 9th grade).  This year he even went to State for Solo and Ensemble.  Talent he's got...oh and perfect pitch.  Only 1 out of every 10,000 people have perfect pitch.  It's pretty amazing, even if I wasn't his mother!

His orchestra director this year, encouraged him to audition for the Cactus Pear Music Festival, a two and a half week intensive music program that selects only a few young musicians.  He dragged his feet about it and even turned in his application late (still not sure he was interested).  He auditioned and was selected.  The only violist selected too.  We were all proud and excited for him.  We didn't truly understand the term intensive, until it was over.  All of us, musicians and parents and even siblings, were exhausted, when this musical extravaganza was finally over.  It pretty much consumed most of the month of July.  We've spent this week recovering!  But it was so worth it...these kids were amazing. It was an experience of a lifetime.

The kids worked with professional musicians from around the world, gave community performances and were at all the professionals performances...6 concerts, 5 community outreach concerts and lots, and lots of rehearsal and lessons.  Whew...








 




Here's a video of the final concert given just by the Young Artists.  This was one of my favorite pieces...Brahms Piano trio in G Minor.



It's long...but if you have the time...give it a listen to.

Music is our lives...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...