Skip to main content

Looking back, looking forward...

This week between Christmas and New Year's is always a bit odd for me.  It's like I'm not really sure what to do with myself.  I certainly enjoy the downtime, the not having much on the "to-do" or "to-go" list.  We've been sleeping late, breakfast at noon, binge watching on Netflix, indenting the couch cushions, and generally just hanging out together.  It's really the best Christmas present I get...this week after.  But it leaves me feeling a bit unsure of things.  A bit like what's my purpose, besides feeding these people all the time!  Geez...you never realize how frequently kids need to eat, until you are home with them for two weeks!

Tonight, we are going to ring in the new year in the same casual fashion as the rest of this week...at home sushi, card games, Netflix and sparkling apple cider!  Wild bunch here, right?! 

2014 was a simple year...nothing too dramatic.  Lots to be grateful for...good health, smart and talented kids, a house full of music, a career I love and a happy marriage.  Next year will bring a new adventures, achievements and more blessings.

Here's a look back at some of my favorite Christmas moments and our winter break...

Yosapalooza concert, Dec. 21, 2014

Due to a crazy, busy month, we never got the Christmas decorations out of the attic
and set up.  So last minute we bought this tiny tree for 50 % off at Lowe's.  The kids had a great time making
ornaments and decorations for it.  I actually loved it!  I found the pennant banner online.  The mason jars are a Pinterest idea!


December 24...
Christmas Eve mass.

Christmas Eve at Nana's and Papa's. 

Santa arrives as usual!

Bailey thinks Santa is rather amusing!

Even the grown ups get a little something from Santa!

I had some late night help from Bailey this year, getting everything ready before Santa arrived at our house. 

December 25...
Christmas morning...Bailey was still sleeping.  His Christmas wish, was to sleep in!

Look what Santa brought!  Calico Critters camping set...just what she asked for!

What does Santa bring the tweens?...Nike shoes of course!



Christmas #2 with my parents and sister's family!


Twinsies!
 December 26...
Bailey got a soccer ball from Santa, so we headed out the next day to test it out!  A little family soccer game!

She looks so serious!
 December 29...
Bailey had several volunteer performances right after Christmas.  I love the snowman gear he wore!

I hope everyone has had a wonderful holiday season, like I know we have.  Happy New Year friends!  May the year be filled with blessings and happiness! 

Goodbye to 2014 from the Boyen Bunch...

Hello 2015!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...