Skip to main content

Catching my breath...

* This blog post was written on good old fashioned notebook paper and pen in the waiting room of the ambulatory surgical center.



Catching my breath requires a surgery?!?!  Thankfully not mine and not serious either.  Seems like I've been down this path before.  Last year, life was so busy, busy, busy in the fall with school, kid's activities, home projects and keeping up with the day to day. The beginning of this school year has been no different.  I began feeling stressed this week (I don't stress easily) and I realized why...I haven't had anytime for me.  And let's be honest here, when I did have some time for me, I chose sleep over anything else!  I tell you, there is no tired like the back-to-school-I'm-a-mom-and-a-teacher-tired!  It's really my least favorite part of the school year.  I don't mind all the activities, being "mom's taxi", balancing work and home, and I do love my job.  What I really don't like is just how tired I am.  I'm not sure how to find that extra energy I need.

So back to the surgery...last year I remember actually looking "forward" to my own surgery because it meant I had to slow it down and take it easy.  I did (sort of) and enjoyed my down time.  I'm here for John's surgery today.  Although I was stressed earlier this week about the details, getting kids to school, substitute for my class, my student teacher prepped for my absence...I was looking forward to this exact moment.  Sitting here in the waiting room, quiet (kind of), alone (sort of), writing.  Writing is my me time (OK and some Pinterest/Facebook/Instagram time too).  John's surgery is minor, a release of a trigger finger and a tendonitis elbow repair.  He should be in and out, no problems, two week recovery tops.  We just had quality time together, uninterrupted by the kids, t.v. or phones.  There was playful banter after some "loopy" drugs were on board.  I anticipate the possibility of a quiet afternoon, that might include a nap, after we get home.  And now, this bit of me time, writing in a notebook, has somehow miraculously melted away 3 full weeks of stress.  Better than any loopy drug John just got.

That busy chaos called my life, will begin again at 4:00 this afternoon, when all the kids return from school with stories, empty lunch boxes and homework.  I have to be "mom's taxi" again and get Bailey from Latin Club at 5:15.  But for now...I'm going to continue to soak in the pleasure of calm tranquility being provided by all things, an ambulatory surgical center waiting room.

Here are some of those wonderful and crazy moments from the last 3 weeks of back-to-school mayhem.  I apologize for the pictures.  Not my best moments, but when life gets full, my camera roll seems to get empty.  I can't catch my breath long enough to snap a picture!

Dramatic haircuts and a donation to Locks of love.
Savannah and I got new "dos" too.


First day of school


Ready to shop at Ikea Labor Day weekend.

Shopping at Ikea with Daddy.


Moving up a level in gymnastics!

Reading for homework now, instead of pleasure.  Takes some of the fun out of it.

Beautiful evenings, with hopes of cooler weather on the horizon.

Awesome homework by Jonas.

This is pure exhaustion trying to keep up with a 6 days a week, 6:00 a.m. cross country practice.


Ongoing home projects...painting the laundry room finally!

More bedtime reading...
I love writing and how it releases such a good feeling for me.  I'm guessing the feelings I get writing are similar to that which runners get after a good run. But I'll leave the running to Bailey. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing can bring you peace...

  ...but yourself.  I read the most amazing quote last night in a book I've been reading by Lori Gottlieb, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone.  "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."  I wrote the following paragraph two weeks ago, before ever reading the quote above.  In 2026, my 53rd year, I'm focusing on peace. I want to find my peace, protect my peace, cultivate my peace. This year's word of the year has strong ties to last year's word, relax. Relax is more of a temporary state of being or an activity that reduces stress. I did an okay job of being more relaxed last year, but I still found myself feeling anxious and worried about the little and big things, more than I liked. Peace, on the other hand, is more of a state of being. I hope to embrace peace in my heart and mind. Peace can be deep, stable, and persistent. That even if th...

Dinner...

Would two posts in one day be too much?! Well I am going for it! Dinner tonight was fast and fabulous, so I had to share. I guess I'll call it Tortelinni with chicken, broccoli and bacon cream sauce. Only I didn't actually use cream! It was Macaroni Grill delish! And the kids gobbled it up! Recipe: Ingredients: Two large chicken breast cubed Frozen or dried tortelinni Small onion diced Large clove of garlic chopped Handful of mushrooms chopped Applewood smoked bacon-about 5 slices chopped Cup of cooked broccoli 3/4 cup of milk 3 tablespoons of butter 1 tablespoon of flour Olive oil Salt and pepper Parmesan cheese On medium heat in a sautée pan, melt 1 tblsp of butter with some olive oil. Boil some water for the tortelinni. Sautée the onion and garlic till translucent. Add bacon. After a few minutes add the chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly browned. Add the other 2 tablespoons of butter. Sprinkle with flour. Toss an...

"Spring" into Summer

I've officially been on summer vacation for a week now, even though technically, according to the calendar, it's still spring. It's the earliest I've ever gotten out of school as a teacher. Can't decide if I like it or not! The kids have been done with their semester since the beginning of May, although Savannah's graduate program never really ends, so she's still knee-deep in classes, exams, and labs. We are inching our way into summer, more than "springing" into it. The usual "mayhem" of Maycember seemed more "peace"ful this year (see what I did there?), although we did squeeze a lot into April and May. March wrapped up with my second Spring Break with Jonas and Lorelei. Lorelei met with a specialist in Houston, so we had a mini trip just the two of us.  When we got home, Jonas was able to get a ride back to spend some time at home. We had a fun day in San Antonio doing some of our favorite things.  Nowhere Bookshop... Train r...